WotC What do Monsters Taste Like. Weird little video from WotC.

darjr

I crit!
Ha! First watch.

IMG_8919.jpeg

overgeeked

B/X Known World
It's funny, you could tell they were trying to avoid the topic of eating sapient creatures, but Todd kept going there. :D

That being said, Keith Baker already thought up regenerating troll meat as a dietary staple in the nation of Droaam, it's called grist.
Yeah. It's a great idea.

From another thread...

Trolls are large in 5E, which is unhelpful, but they're listed as 9' tall in 2E. A 9' tall person with the low end of average BMI should weigh about 310 lbs. Depending on where you draw the line on what's edible, you could get as much as 80% of that weight in food. For the average troll that's 248 pounds of food. As long as you don't use acid or fire, it'll always grow back. The average troll has 84 hit points and regenerates 10 hp per round, or about 12% of itself every six seconds. Convert that to weight and it's 29.76 pounds every six-second round of regeneration, or 4.96 pounds every second. There are 86,400 seconds in a day...so there are 428,544 pounds of troll meat in a day...

London had a population of 5.567 million in 1891. Assuming the 5E rules of one pound of food per person per day, you could feed that population on 13 trolls a day.

What's the total population of the planet of Eberron?

Droaam should be a the leading exporter of meat on Eberron.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
Coincidentally, I was setting up an arctic wilderness encounter yesterday which features a frost troll and a regular troll. The frost troll is using the troll as both scout/minion and food source - he just take bites out of him whenever hunger gets too much. The troll is emaciated and covered in healed-over bite/frostbite marks, and is well-motivated to seek out new sources of food for the pair of them.

Reynard

Legend
Coincidentally, I was setting up an arctic wilderness encounter yesterday which features a frost troll and a regular troll. The frost troll is using the troll as both scout/minion and food source - he just take bites out of him whenever hunger gets too much. The troll is emaciated and covered in healed-over bite/frostbite marks, and is well-motivated to seek out new sources of food for the pair of them.
In my personal monster lore, trolls were always ravenous because regeneration required calories. One of my favorite traps was when pushing open a door in a dungeon dropped a half dozen glass jars from chains on the ceiling, each one with a piece of a troll in it. The door was also jammed so it would take anyone trying to get through a minute to do so, during which time the now absolutely berserk with hunger troll had pulled itself back together.

Remove ads