WotC What do Monsters Taste Like. Weird little video from WotC.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I had a player want to eat cockatrice. It was stoney chicken.
I'm showing my age, but there was a roguelike called 'Nethack' where you could wield a cockatrice corpse as a weapon because it petrified on touch, but you had to wear gloves to avoid petrifying yourself, and if you fell down the stairs you could turn yourself to stone.

aco175

Legend
I could only make it 4 minutes through the video before stopping. Would have ben cooler if it was about, what does the cowfolk Pc tastes like or the rabbitfolk, or the birdfolk, or the hoppofolk, etc...

Remathilis

Legend
It's funny, you could tell they were trying to avoid the topic of eating sapient creatures, but Todd kept going there. :D

That's why I attempt to avoid this topic; it always starts with "I wonder what owlbear tastes like" and ends with "this is vaguely a cannibalism fetish". It also ends up becoming mired in what animals are/aren't acceptable to eat and the whole notion of eating meat in the first place, and those are ugly debates.

I'm surprised WotC was willing to open that can of purple worms...

FitzTheRuke

Legend
That's why I attempt to avoid this topic; it always starts with "I wonder what owlbear tastes like" and ends with "this is vaguely a cannibalism fetish". It also ends up becoming mired in what animals are/aren't acceptable to eat and the whole notion of eating meat in the first place, and those are ugly debates.

I'm surprised WotC was willing to open that can of purple worms...
Mmmm.... canned purple worm!

Trolls are large in 5E, which is unhelpful, but they're listed as 9' tall in 2E. A 9' tall person with the low end of average BMI should weigh about 310 lbs. Depending on where you draw the line on what's edible, you could get as much as 80% of that weight in food. For the average troll that's 248 pounds of food. As long as you don't use acid or fire, it'll always grow back. The average troll has 84 hit points and regenerates 10 hp per round, or about 12% of itself every six seconds. Convert that to weight and it's 29.76 pounds every six-second round of regeneration, or 4.96 pounds every second. There are 86,400 seconds in a day...so there are 428,544 pounds of troll meat in a day...

London had a population of 5.567 million in 1891. Assuming the 5E rules of one pound of food per person per day, you could feed that population on 13 trolls a day.
Now that is TRUE EVIL.

Stormonu

Legend
One of my players back in 3E days was actually a professional butcher at a local store. Made for some interesting learning moments in our games as he would butcher various monsters for possible quasi-magic components. Ended up with a document with what various monster components were good for, as well as their edibility (Bugbear soup was his specialty...)

Particularly with the Delicious in Dungeon anime coming out on Netflix next year (and the manga has recently concluded in Japan).
I haven't read it, but heard good things so I am looking forward to the anime.

The Monster Hunter games were eating their hunts for a while now (not sure it was done in the original from 2004). Though not really a D&D like thing, the first thing I thought of aside from Dungeon Meshi was Toriko, which has the protagonist finding all kinds of wild "ingredients".

Remove ads