• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

what do these foods taste like?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Wouldn't know for most of them. Chip butties I'm sure you can imagine. Marmite is kinda tangy; I like it. The rest I've never had, and some of them I've never even heard of.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
haggis and blood pudding are a spiced sausage with a oatmeal base and thats what it taste like too, Stargazy's essentially fish in white sauce. I think eels taste better than trout so if you've tasted trout imagine that for eel.
Laverbread taste like seaweed - imagine the nori in sushi, I like it although the texture can be off putting (the same with the jellied eels)

chip butty is great

Dioltach

Legend
Black pudding can be either OK or delicious, depending how it's done. I once had some in a Michelin-starred restaurant with a Hindustani chef, and it was fantastic.

(For what it's worth, black pudding isn't peculiar to Britain -- it's cheap peasant "waste not want not" food, so you'll find it all over Europe, if not beyond.)

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I suspect the black pudding is something similar in the US as it sounds like what I have heard some old timer call blood pudding and my grandma call blood sausage. Is the Chip butties really nothing but chips and a bun?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I suspect the black pudding is something similar in the US as it sounds like what I have heard some old timer call blood pudding and my grandma call blood sausage. Is the Chip butties really nothing but chips and a bun?

yes and yes

German Blutwurst is also a blood pudding

puddings have a grain flour base but really the only difference between sausage and pudding is that puddings are boiled in bags (or a stomach) and sausages in tubes (like intestines)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Is the Chip butties really nothing but chips and a bun?

Yes, it's very simple. It's a chip sandwich (not what you call chips). It wouldn't work with American fries - they need to be thick. Just chips, bread, butter (melted by the hot chips), ketchup as required. Simple, quick, but utterly delicious. Now I want one.

Scott DeWar

Yes, it's very simple. It's a chip sandwich (not what you call chips). It wouldn't work with American fries - they need to be thick. Just chips, bread, butter (melted by the hot chips), ketchup as required. Simple, quick, but utterly delicious. Now I want one.

Now let me get this right, because this food looks good in my diabetic -lo carb only- mind, thick french fries, or chips - the only type of french fry in my mind any way, on bread with butter and ketchup.

Right?

blood pudding sardines haggis, I cannot not go with, as someone from 'the colonies, but the chip butties, I can easily learn to LOVE that sammich!

Scott DeWar

. . . . . Stargazy's essentially fish in white sauce. I think eels taste better than trout so if you've tasted trout imagine that for eel.
Laverbread taste like seaweed - imagine the nori in sushi, I like it although the texture can be off putting (the same with the jellied eels)

chip butty is great
Stargazy:
fish in a white sauce - cream, cheese and butter base with white wine I m guessing?- it sound good, but the disturbing thing is seeing the heads just sticking out of the crust. It shouldn't bother me at all because cook my trout with head on, so I have no excuse.

As for eels, that is just not a common food where I have lived, anywhere.

Chip butty:
see 2 posts up

(For what it's worth, black pudding isn't peculiar to Britain -- it's cheap peasant "waste not want not" food, so you'll find it all over Europe, if not beyond.)
the wast not want not thing is seen as a depression era mentality, which is something my grandma and grandpa survived. The also ate the marrow out of the bones *shudder* spreading it on bread.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads