D&D 3E/3.5 What do you ban? (3.5)

Celebrim

Legend
...Are you joking? The part about hold person seemed serious, but I'm having trouble believing you were serious on the rest of that post... Except that the only "Coup de Grace feat" I'm aware of -- Deathblow -- sucks.

Now, now, be nice. One shouldn't mock noo...people who haven't got as much experience as you do.

Besides, I kinda like Deathblow.... at least for NPCs. Ghoul Assassins are 'fun'.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I'd like Deathblow, if it got rid of the AoO from using CDG, similar to the "improved" maneuver feats.

And sorry if I was mean.

[sblock]I really do like Deathblow, though. My friends and I have a themed party concept we want to try some day: "Judge, Jury, and Executioner." A wandering vigilante party of militantly lawful types that seek to bring justice to wrongdoers. Judge being a Justicar (with some sort of martial class build before that) focused on grappling to "maintain order in the court" and prevent the suspect from physically escaping. Jury being some sort of Cleric that summons archons or other lawful outsiders to witness the brief statements of the trial and reach a verdict, along with being able to Dimensional Anchor the suspect to prevent magical escape and possibly Hold spells to make the execution easier. I would be the Executioner, whch I decided I would want to be a Iaijutsu Focus based Factotum using a greatsword as tool of execution (using the profession executioner skill from BoVD on helpless suspects found guilty), preferably by quickdrawing it from its sheathe and slicing the head off in one fluid motion (draw and strike visually inspired largely by Zhou Tai from Dynasty Warriors). So with all the CDG'ing I'd be doing, even as weak as it is, Deathblow would be worth taking, and in fact once I hit Factotum 8 and gain the ability to grant myself an extra standard action, gains some great synergy.[/sblock]

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Deep Impact is only possibly broken if combined with certain Tome of Battle maneuvers, otherwise the fact you only get one attack with it balances it.

Eldritch Glaive is only broken if you think Hideous Blow wasn't grossly horrifically underpowered. And if you think that, then I'm sorry but you're wrong. :p

Eman Resu

First Post
Deep Impact is only possibly broken if combined with certain Tome of Battle maneuvers, otherwise the fact you only get one attack with it balances it.

Eldritch Glaive is only broken if you think Hideous Blow wasn't grossly horrifically underpowered. And if you think that, then I'm sorry but you're wrong. :p

so eld gl aint broke?

Since were dicussing banning what about the ole VoP? You could even couple these together. A Warlock with Vop and eldritch glaive

TanisFrey

First Post
I always figured bought poisons fall into 3 basic categories, depending on your needs. And assuming you're the type to think of using them -- both from an ethical standpoint and a "do I really want to spend a bunch of money on a one shot item that's not a buff (ie, might not even work)?"

1.) No use. The poison simply isn't worth consideration.

2.) The more affordable poisons, which have very low DC and small effect (when possible, ABSOLUTELY sacrifice DC in favor of effect). They may do little and seldom work, but the point is, they DO still work, at least 5% of the time. ;) And if the poison's cheap enough relative to your wealth, it might be feasible to coat some porjectiles in it, spam them, and see if the investment pays off.

3.) When you absolutely, positively have to kill something dead. Or you're about to face an encounter waaaaaay above what you can reasonably expect to survive. When you're just plain need to win, no matter the cost, it could be perfectly financially logical to go out and spend a major chunk of your total wealth on the highest freaking DC poison you can find. It's not an ideal situation, but one DC 20 debilitating poison at ECL 3 if successful will win the day like few other purchases could. Of course, this assumes you can acquire a poison whose price range is atypical for what a character of your level would normally be shopping for. Ie, you live in a big city.

Ironically the cheap spam poison is more of a high level option, and the super expensive 733+ poison is more of a low level option (because there simply aren't any good high level poisons, and even if there were, fort saves and poison immunities have skyrocketed by then).
At times my group as talked about allowing to expand the saving throws penalties of the scrying spell to other spells and/or custom made poisons. To be specific we are talking about the connection modifiers, having and using a likeness or possession or bit of your opponent to custom make the poison or a spells that target 1 (and only one) person at a time.

Sorrowdusk

First Post
A warlock with Vow of Poverty is signing away his best class features.

IDR -it MIGHT have been Nightcrawler Build or it might have been something else, but there was some build out there for Eldritch Glaive that would give you a rediculous number of extra attacks if you had the proper combination of feats. But in and of itself, I dont think its banworthy.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Wow, people nerf Power Attack, Spirited Charge, and Cleave?

What do melee characters do in those games?

Yeah in my games I ban all the charging feats and nerf Power Attack and disallow psionics and have no Tome of battle and nobody ever plays non-casters ever, ever.

Naw, not really.

I don't really ban anything because, well, it's 3e, half the fun is in all the classes and abilities and PrCs and whatnot that you can mush together to create your character. That said, my players stray away from the more hefty stuff power-wise (I'm in a game with an archivist and got worried. Turns out he mostly just blasts. Worries gone!).

Remove ads