• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you do with a drunken player?

Thurbane

First Post
Never really had problems with anyone getting too drunk at our games (we all enjoy a social beer or three while we play), but have certainly dealt with obnoxious players who make the game less fun for others.

Speaking for myself, I'd go down on of two roads: ask the DM/host to reconsider having a word to the offending player to "tone down" the abrasive behaviour; or if that doesn't happen, consider dropping out of the game. If you drop out, don't be shy about telling them why you're leaving.

Heck, if you're willing to commute to Melbourne you're welcome at our game! :p

Sound of Azure said:
Hi all,

I wanted to ask the community for a bit of advice. Over the weekend I had the opportunity to visit some gaming friends I haven't seen for a while. I was asked to join in as one of the party's tag-along NPCs, which I readily agreed to. It was the best option, since I was only going to be there for that session, and a character of my own popping in and out would have been really disruptive. All the players were there, except one guy who was late.

Anyhow, it seemed all hunky dory initially- a bit of out of game chatter (mostly me, I'm the deity of out of game chatter :eek: ), jokes around the table, etc. Then the late player turned up. He was totally smashed. I'm all for a bit of social lubricant, but I was concerned... especially since he'd driven to the game (he was staying at the DM's place overnight, thankfully).

As the game went on, I got more and more uncomfortable. The drunk player was extremely rude to everyone, especially to two players in particular. Insults about people's appearance, play style, intelligence and so on were thrown about with abandon.

It could have been my annoyance colouring my perceptions, but I think everyone was starting to get irritated with him. I wanted to say something, but:
1) It wasn't my house.
2) I was a guest, and not one of the regular players.
3) (Most of) the other players have been friends with this guy longer than they've known me.

Asking my friend later, they said he's always like that, and "It's just the way he is, let it go". :confused: I don't know why they put up with it, honestly. On the one hand I definitely hate seeing my friends get pushed around, but on the other... as an outsider, is it my place to say something about their group dynamics.

Why put up with someone who's so boorish and upleasant to be around? Do they just not want to rock the boat? Loyalty taken to extremes?

ENWorld, what would you have done? Is there something I can do to help my friends out?

ok here's the thing. being drunk at a social gathering invites.... intervention....

your question should not be "what do you do with a drunken player"

the question is actually "what don't you do to a drunken player".

fun and games aside, if someone in the game is a jerk, give them a warning and then give em the boot if it comes up again.

if they are loaded and a jerk. get rid of 'em. this person is an obvious waste of human genetic material.

gamers can be touchy enough without a virulent catalyst (dark imagery isn't it?). they are trying to have fun and anyone killing the mood has GOT to go.

now, if your group is insensitive to your needs (non threatening gaming environment) which you are entitled to, screw em. find another group.

if you are in this area you can come game with us (northern los angeles). we would not tolerate some gasbag like that.

a good group almost gaurantees a good game.

good luck

Remove ads