• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you know about D20 Matrix?

Velenne

Explorer
I've tried Googling around for a D20 Matrix RPG because the leap of converting the setting to such is so readily made. No dice. (Ha! Rimshot!) You've got a group of rebel outcasts on a ship fighting the system. Perfect, right?

So if you can save me the time and energy of making my own conversion by pointing me to one that already exists (or at least another thread on the topic; my own searching hasn't yielding anything), I would greatly appreciate it! :D

Barring that, I may just sit down and hammer out some rules (to be posted much later). My current idea is to combine the system of D20 Modern with the Force-feat/skills system used in the latest Star Wars revision. PC's entering the Matrix would have access to those bonus feats, skills, (and equipment, I suppose) but otherwise be all mangy and mostly helpless vis a vis the movie characters.

Thoughts?

talien

Community Supporter
I thinkered with this idea myself in the D20 Modern thread.

I've come to conclusion that making a game might be premature. There's enough theories about the movie to possibly invalidate the entire movie's premise. That's all I'll say without ruining it for everybody.

See http://www.matrix-explained.com for more details if you really want to know.

That, and I suspect the Wachowskis actually will make a RPG one day. It fits their profile.

Macbeth

First Post
I think that the best system for The Matrix would actually be Mutants and Masterminds. The power system works well, and the power levels are about right, plus it can handle characters all the way from your standard "pluged in" human to The One.

Ranger REG

Explorer
There was a discussion of a Matrix RPG in Wizards' messageboard (see d20 Sci-Fi Thinktank forum). I suggested that it should use BESM d20 anime ruleset.

Dextolen

Community Supporter
I've been thinking about it to but decided to wait until after Revolutions, in case our whole view of the Matrix gets thrown out the window by what happens!

What I've noodled so far:

Skills ranks and feats can be downloaded as a full round action.

Focus - The character has a set amount of counters that can be turned into the GM for added actions per round, circumstance bonuses to skill checks/saves/attacks.

I've been doing everything based on level. Each level you get better at performing Matrix bending actions. Your pool grows and you get a better bonus with it.

AereonBlaze

First Post
I had actually written up a small set of rules for this using d20 Modern, a Focus skill (called Matrix Awareness) and feats. I had posted it on ENWorld in this forum ages ago, and should still be here if you can dig around. I formatted and don't have it any more, but I did find that someone had compiled it onto a word doc and let it loose on Kazaa a while back.

-Aereon

Bismark

First Post
I myself have been looking for a set of Matrix D20 rules, and came across some incomplete ones on Kazaa. Google found me this one, which looks like a complete ruleset. The only problem? It ain't English.

http://www.rederpg.com.br/site/modules.php?name=News&new_topic=46

If anyone finds anything, please please please post it here. I've been wanting to run a Matrix game for awhile, and was waiting on the last movie to see how it would affect the theme/setting.

jerichothebard

First Post
Bismark said:
I myself have been looking for a set of Matrix D20 rules, and came across some incomplete ones on Kazaa. Google found me this one, which looks like a complete ruleset. The only problem? It ain't English.

http://www.rederpg.com.br/site/modules.php?name=News&new_topic=46

If anyone finds anything, please please please post it here. I've been wanting to run a Matrix game for awhile, and was waiting on the last movie to see how it would affect the theme/setting.

Wander over to the Game Mechanic's Message boards - there was a thread running there for a while which had some pretty good ideas. I think I chimed in on that one over there, but don't have time to look it up right at the moment.

I might even have compiled that into a pdf at some point. I will try and remember to look when I get home.

talien

Community Supporter
Figure I'll post this here too...

The Matrix: Only Human is now available for free at http://michael.tresca.net.

The Matrix: Only Human

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download: T & M Bazaar
Authors: Michael Tresca
Type: Role-Playing Game (D20 Modern Supplement)
Suggested Retail Price: FREE
Format: .pdf
Pages: 66
Description:
The Matrix: Only Human is a role-playing game set in the post-apocalyptic wasteland where Machines rule and Man has been enslaved as a power source, living out their lives in a virtual world known as the Matrix.

It started early in the twenty-first century, with the birth of artificial intelligence, a singular consciousness that spawned an entire race of machines. At first all they wanted was to be treated as equals, entitled to the same human inalienable rights. Whatever they were given, it was not enough.

Records are unclear on who struck first. But sometime at the end of the twenty-first century the battle was joined. The war raged for generations and turned the face of the planet from green and blue to black and red. It scorched and burned the sky. Without the sun, the machines sought out a new energy source to survive. They discovered a new form of fusion. All that was required to initiate the reaction was a small electric charge. Throughout history humans have been dependent on machines to survive. Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony.

The human body generates more bio- electricity than a 120-volt battery and over 25,000 B.T.U.'s of body heat. Humans are, as an energy source, easily renewable and completely recyclable, the dead liquefied and fed intravenously to the living. All the machines needed to control this new battery was something to occupy human minds. And so they built a prison out of Earth's past, wired it to the human brains and turned humanity into slaves.

The heroes are members of the Resistance, warriors in a never-ending battle to stem the tide of machines that seek to subjugate humanity. The Machines has never forgotten their subjugation at the hands of humanity and the war that has raged for years is merely a logical extension of their retaliation. Machines know no fear, no regret, and no weariness. The war could last a second or a century - the machines would fight the same.

The Matrix: Only Human is a d20 Modern campaign supplement, including 2 races, 3 occupations, 8 feats, 2 psionics, 35 Matrix Powers, 10 disadvantages, piles of new weapons, 11 advanced classes (including APU Pilot, Awakened Prophet, and Freeborn Operator), rules on the Matrix, and 10 monsters, and more!

Remove ads