What Do You Mean By "Fun" In Your RPG?

When someone says a game is "fun," you probably don’t really know what they mean, and maybe they don’t, either. Until you recognize that what's fun for you isn't necessarily fun for every game player, you cannot be a good GM.

When someone says a game is "fun," you probably don’t really know what they mean, and maybe they don’t, either. Until you recognize that what's fun for you isn't necessarily fun for every game player, you cannot be a good GM.

It’s obvious that what’s fun to a serious Chess player is not the same as what’s fun to a serious D&Der. What’s fun for an Apples to Apples player is very different from fun for a Diplomacy or Britannia player.

Some people have identified different kinds of fun or enjoyment in games, and the most well-known of these is “8 Kinds of Fun” by Marc LeBlanc.

• Sensation/Game as sense-pleasure
  • Fantasy/Game as make-believe
  • Narrative/Game as unfolding story
  • Challenge/Game as obstacle course
  • Fellowship/Game as social framework
  • Discovery/Game as uncharted territory
  • Expression/Game as soap box
  • Submission/Game as mindless pastime

You can see that some of these are in some RPGs and not in others, but most RPG rules permit most of these kinds of fun if the GM tries to provide it. When you're planning a campaign (or designing an RPG ruleset, or writing an RPG setting) ask yourself which kinds of fun your target audience likes, and try to incorporate them into your work. For example, Discovery is obvious as many RPGs have a considerable exploration segment. RPGs usually offer Fellowship well, by their co-operative nature. Campaigns that are games (where you can fail) and not playgrounds (where there is no failure) are often Challenging Obstacle Courses. Some campaigns are big Puzzles, with lots of puzzles in each adventure.

I might prefer to call narrative Story because to me narrative (an account of what happens) is always in a game, but not always a good story. Some campaigns emphasize stories and some don't. Sometimes a GM imposes a story on the game, other GMs let the players write their own story, that is, create a narrative that’s interesting and original to them.

Many campaigns encourage self-Expression, most are about Fantasy (in the sense of something outside the real world).

Submission (time-killing) is not unusual in RPGs, though less in tabletop than video. The least common of the “8 Kinds” is Sensation, because so much of an RPG takes place in the minds of the players. On the other hand, in LARPs sensation is a major aspect.

Another point of view is Nicole Lazzaro's Four Keys to Fun that create powerful emotions:

• Hard Fun: Fiero – in the moment personal triumph over adversity (Goals, obstacles, strategies)
  • Easy Fun: Curiosity (Exploration, Fantasy, Creativity)
  • Serious Fun: Relaxation and excitement (Repetition, rhythm, collection)
  • People Fun: Amusement (Communicate, Cooperate, Compete)

While not the same as LeBlanc’s, you can see lots of crossover. I’m not sure why she chose “serious” for category 3, but I can’t immediately think of an alternative.

I’m sure we can come up with other kinds of fun that may appeal to smaller groups. For example, I like to see how a game is structured, how designers accomplish their goals. I like co-operation, but against human opposition (as in RPGs), not so much against simple programmed opposition via cards (as in tabletop co-op board and card games).

Larger groups, too: we can suppose that many video game players have fun seeing depictions of violent death (often in slow motion, with gore), which are very common in AAA video games, and which we only imagine in tabletop games. Another example, some video gamers are so wedded to graphics that they cannot enjoy a game without photo-realistic visuals.

Perhaps you can suggest more?

contributed by Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

Hussar

Legend
Very, very cool [MENTION=6930756]Kegsen[/MENTION]. Welcome to the party.

I was thinking about this and something does occur to me. It probably isn't a good idea to say that RPG's are this or that kind of fun. After all, there are a lot of RPG's out there that appeal to all sorts of different kinds of fun.

For example, the article talks about how RPG's don't really appeal to "Sensation" fun. But, take a game like Dread as a counter example. There's an RPG which focuses almost entirely on Sensation fun. You try an action, pull a jenga block and succeed or fail. It's all about the rising tension of horror as the Jenga tower gets more and more unstable.

I think it would be a good idea for designers to keep the different kinds of fun in mind when designing games. Crossing a concept with a kind of fun can suggest all sorts of different ideas for RPG's.

Kegsen

First Post
Very, very cool [MENTION=6930756]Kegsen[/MENTION]. Welcome to the party.

I was thinking about this and something does occur to me. It probably isn't a good idea to say that RPG's are this or that kind of fun. After all, there are a lot of RPG's out there that appeal to all sorts of different kinds of fun.

Thanks, and I agree. When we first started talking about playing D & D, inevitably the term "fantasy-game" came up, but it could just as well be viewed as a tactical game (playing different NPCs against one another, or the battle tactics), a dungeon crawler or even amateur theatre night. I guess it all comes in under the term rpg, but also how the group wants to play it. With some wanting to just explore the world and get to know the people/creatures living there, others get all misty-eyed thinking `bout magical items and those who want to save the princess/goblin/dwarf child and restore law and order / take over everything. And in all of these ways of playing the game, I would say that the players experience a sense of fear/anxiety knowing that their actions have consequences, and that in turn can have even more serious consequences later on - depending on how they respond to the first set of consequences.

Max_Killjoy

First Post
Reading through the comments so far, I see two broad trends in the approach:

* Attempts to understand what, why, and how of other people's fun.
* Attempts to tell other people why and how they have fun, going so far as to inform them that they're wrong about their own fun.

The former can be a really interesting conversation. The latter is just a jerk move.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads