• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you think about the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting Book

johnsemlak

First Post
The only thing I really dislike is the adventure they put in. Thats a couple of pages I will most likely never use, and it is in the front of the book.

How many pages is the adventure actually--I'm guessing that it's more than a couple? How many pages are in the whole book?

I for one support including short adventures in a book like this. It gives new (or perhaps experienced) DMs an adventure they can use immediately. As long as it's reasonably short it shouldn't be too much of a loss for those who don't ever used published adventures--there's always going to be parts of a book some people won't use.

I suppose one could argue that something like that would make a good web enhancement, but the people who will use it (and I suspect that a great many of people who buy this book will use it) will greatly appreciate it being in the print version.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
I don't have, and won't be getting the 4e Realms books (just not a big fan of the setting). However...

Compared to the tour-de-force that was the 3E FRCS (probably the best DM product of the 3E era, IMO)...

Yeah, the 3e FRCS was a really really great book. Exactly what I want in a campaign setting (and, actually, I would prefer that a book of that scope be all there is to a setting - no need for additional region guides for me).

I for one support including short adventures in a book like this. It gives new (or perhaps experienced) DMs an adventure they can use immediately.

Seconded. I used to be very much opposed to sample adventures, but my opinion has changed with time. Now I see them as an easy and quick way to introduce key elements of the setting/rules system, and get people actually playing.

IMO, the core rules, and every setting, should include at least one sample adventure.

Mercurius

Legend
Yum, I love 90% fluff. Mine is currently in transit (shipped the 18th) so I should get it within the next day or two.

What I'm wondering is if they explain the whole Abeir-Toril thing. I mean, are they now separate? What do they mean by "lost sibling Abeir"?

Also, do they give stat blocks for Elminster, Drizzt and company? I'm just wondering how many levels an uber-drow ranger passes in 100 years, or if they somehow rationalize just a few (maybe he was hiding out somewhere)...I mean, he should be a demi-god by this point, or at least give us an example of a high epic tier character.

While we're at it, has WotC given us any hints as to what happens after 30th level? I haven't read the core books in depth, so it might be somewhere, but I'm wondering if one gets to "apply" for demigod status or something, like in the good old days of 1E.

Falstaff

First Post
I think I've already said this, but I like this book except for the map.

THE MAP SUCKS! It is very useless.

I am hoping that Wizards releases a FR Map Pack with everything mapped like Cormyr and the Nentir Vale.

I really, really wish they'd do that.

Obergnom

First Post
No stats for good NPCs, but... Fzoul Chembryl (Exarch of Bane) and Manshon are 28th Level... I guess Drizzt should be below that and Elminster is weakened.

delericho

Legend
While we're at it, has WotC given us any hints as to what happens after 30th level? I haven't read the core books in depth, so it might be somewhere,

It's in the PHB, under Epic Destinies. The short version is that each of the Epic Destinies has an 'end game' condition that applies roughly when you reach 30th level.

So, there isn't really anything after 30th level at all.

vazanar

First Post
How many pages is the adventure actually--I'm guessing that it's more than a couple? How many pages are in the whole book?

I for one support including short adventures in a book like this. It gives new (or perhaps experienced) DMs an adventure they can use immediately. As long as it's reasonably short it shouldn't be too much of a loss for those who don't ever used published adventures--there's always going to be parts of a book some people won't use.

I suppose one could argue that something like that would make a good web enhancement, but the people who will use it (and I suspect that a great many of people who buy this book will use it) will greatly appreciate it being in the print version.

The loudwater sections is about 30pages in a 300 page book. 30 pages that could have been used in giving a little more details on the threats. Instead we get more stat blocks of goblins. The problem isn't so much the adventure, but that the adventure doesn't really take advantage or show the Realms.

renau1g

First Post
& that the adventure takes about 10% of the book.... that really irks me. It's not even an excellent use of the Realmslore either. I ordered it, but am pretty disappointed that they spent such a large amount of the material on that. Especially as (assuming they follow through with it) this is one half of the only material WOTC is going to release (besides the Player's Guide)...

Does it even detail the SPellplague or does it just gloss over it like they're doing with the novels?

The Little Raven

First Post
Isn't he now working the streets of Calimport as rough trade?

As far as I can tell, there is no mention of Drizzt Do'Urden, aside from a mention of him kicking Obould's ass (but Obould survived) back in the day. There's certainly no direct information on current activities or statistics.

Remove ads