What do you think the new setting will be, from Ampersand?

Which setting do you hope is released for 4th ed, next?

• Spelljammer

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 119 67.2%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • Planescape

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Al-Qadim (Arabian adventures)

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • Kara-tur (Eastern adventures)

Votes: 16 9.0%

• Poll closed .

Maldin

First Post
None of the settings in the poll imho.
I agree.

I think Dark sun is a strong possiblity, after all they're rereleasing the prism pentad. That maybe thier way of testing the waters to see if there is any fan base for the setting as well as helping to bring the setting to the attention of folks that came in with 4e.
I don't think you test the RPG Campaign waters with the reprinting of a series of novels. There's little crossover purchasing, and far too much investment of resources in the development of a campaign world (that must happen long before novel sales stats are in!) to gamble on such a thin connection.

Denis, aka "Maldin"
Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
Loads of edition-independent Greyhawk goodness... maps, mysteries, magic, mechanics, and more!

Last edited:

yeah the "cookie cutter" crap would ruin Dark Sun, and the novels were *atrocious*, in that they forced a great setting down a bloody stupid road that made nonesens of the setting's ethos :(

Different is *good*, no need to make D&D all the damn same, except mechanic wise.

And I loathed how they made a mess of 4th ed Realms too. Just ain't he Realms no more, sigh.
Hopefully they have learned form those lessons!

Dark Sun 4th ed must start from the original boxed set's precepts. No damned dragonbron or tieflings, except as *very* rare characters (dray are a secret race suitable for dragonborn, and elemental links to the Abyss were hinted at and make sense, plus the setting is full of "mutations and new creatures appearing")

you don't need new classes for dark sun, templars are jsut clerics, or walrords or whatever (bureacrat NPCs) and "gladiator" is jsut a job description, not a class.

Yeha it owuld fit in perfectif they add psionics to PHB3 ;)

OchreJelly,
Al-Qadim,arabian, most races live otgether, ie goblinoids and orcs live with humans and are just "folk" not inherenlty evil.

they had a special spellcaster class who "stole" magic using genie like creatures, and could have a few spells of any class.

Sinbad!!! :D
basically it was kind of fun and different, I must say.

Last edited:

Desert Hare

Banned
Banned
I think Ravenloft is perfect for the Points of Light feel. Although I'm not a fan of 4E, I'd do what I'm gonna do with the FR; use the background fluff and use 3.5/BOXM with the seeting info.

Obryn

Hero
I'd prefer none of them, given what happened to FR. I'd much prefer the 4e design team create their own, new setting for 4e rather than forcefit a 2e setting into the default PoL tropes (at the risk of losing a setting's atmosphere, unique points, etc).

But depending on how radical the changes to Eberron are in 4e, if they've learned anything from 4e FR's reception, my opinion on the matter might change. I suspect they may do Dark Sun, but I truly worry about how much it will end up looking like Dark Sun once they get done fitting it into the 4e setting cookie cutter.
Oh, let's be fair.

Dark Sun, as a setting, has already been ruined. Anything new done to it can't possibly break it any more. :)

-O

Irda Ranger

First Post
No DragonLance? What's up with that?

Although in all fairness, we already have rules for Minotaurs and Kender, so there isn't much need for a whole Campaign Setting write-up.

I "hope" for Spelljammer, Al-Qadim or Ravenloft (especially Ravenloft). But I expect Dark Sun, since it always does the best in these polls. I do not expect Planescape, since 90% of what you need is already in the Manual of the Planes.

As for "an entirely new setting", that doesn't make any sense given the statements made. Only a relaunch would "surprise and delight" people, or be guessable before-hand.

gribble

Explorer
If PHB3 = Psionics + Shadow, then I think Dark Sun is a lock.

Actually, I think it's far more likely if PHB3 is Psionic + Elemental.

I think it's likely to be Planescape or Dark Sun, and I'm hoping for the former...

Last edited:

DragonBelow

Adventurer
Darksun

I was at a B&N bookstore this past Saturday and saw that they had reprinted the 3 Original Darksun novels by Troy Denning.

In my opinion this can be seen as an attempt of renewing interest in an old setting.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
The two settings I be looking forward to out of that list be Planescape or Dark Sun.

As for adding elements from core 4e I am perfectly fine with it. It is to me just another option. It means if I wish to add these elements into the setting it is much easier to do. If one wishes to use the setting differently then simply take out the elements they don't wish to have. The atmosphere, themes, etc. are only present as you wish them to be. All I need are some of the mechanics such as NPCs, places, etc. to do this and I can create the theme itself.

I have done this for any setting I have used, sometimes talking a large chunk away. Such as Planescape with remodelling the whole planes except for Sigil, taking alignment out of the Factions, etc.

Remove ads