What do you think the new setting will be, from Ampersand?

Which setting do you hope is released for 4th ed, next?

• Spelljammer

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 119 67.2%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • Planescape

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Al-Qadim (Arabian adventures)

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • Kara-tur (Eastern adventures)

Votes: 16 9.0%

• Poll closed .

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
I'm banking that it's Dark Sun. The recent reprints of the Troy Denning novels, along with the elegance of 4E lends a lot of credence towards WotC publishing a totally non-standard, niche setting that they can market the hell out of across various mediums. Plus, they can really flex all the new stuff they introduced in Manual of the Planes without having to cover everything in the book. Primordials and the elemental planes just scream Dark Sun!

Last edited:

Nymrohd

First Post
I don't really want to see the more peculiar settings like Dark Sun, Planescape, Spelljammer translated in 4E. I would not mind settings that are like them and take a lot of ideas from them adapted in the 4E cosmology and sensibilities but I don't think 4E is a great system to convert things into (like 3E was, where you could convert anything).

Mercutio01

First Post
I was at a B&N bookstore this past Saturday and saw that they had reprinted the 3 Original Darksun novels by Troy Denning.

In my opinion this can be seen as an attempt of renewing interest in an old setting.
This would be reasonable to think, except that they also reprinted Ravenloft AND have been publishing Ari Marmell's Ravenloft novel in chapters on the Wizards website.

I won't guess as to which one because I just don't know. All I really care about now is the release of Eberron.

Oh, let's be fair.

Dark Sun, as a setting, has already been ruined. Anything new done to it can't possibly break it any more. :)

-O

Dragonlance is pretty much ruined as well.

If they relaunch a setting (and that's what it would be with Dragonlance, Dark Sun, Spelljammer, etc), I hope they take a year 1 approach. Cut the setting back to its roots and do away with the stuff that spiraled out of control.

ps - Please let it be Dark Sun :D

Klaus

First Post
Hm?
I'd Hope spelljammer (maybe mixed with the Planes) as there's been hints, or Dark Sun, which again was mentioned in Manual of the Planes.
:)
If Goliaths take the place of Half-Giants, the emphasis on Primal (elemental?) powers in the PHB2 and possibly Psionics on PHB3, I'd have to say Dark Sun, with PHB3 introducing Thri-kreen and Mul.

ki11erDM

Explorer
Give me a reboot of DragonLance or Greyhawk and I will be damn happy.

With a campaign book exactly like FR 4e, which is the best setting book i have ever bought.

Shemeska

Adventurer
I'm banking that it's Dark Sun. The recent reprints of the Troy Denning novels

Well WotC also reprinted a number of Ravenloft titles, and had started to put out a new line of them as well, and then they abruptly cancelled them all. I'm not so sure that I'd put much stock in the novel department's actions giving an indication to what the RPG department was going to do.

Of course the reprints could conceivably have been judged by someone in WotC be a way to judge demand for the setting. I don't necessarily agree with that (or disagree) but it's a thought.

Primordials and the elemental planes just scream Dark Sun!

Dark Sun needs Primordials and the 4e elemental chaos like a fish needs a bicycle.

Obryn

Hero
If they relaunch a setting (and that's what it would be with Dragonlance, Dark Sun, Spelljammer, etc), I hope they take a year 1 approach. Cut the setting back to its roots and do away with the stuff that spiraled out of control.

ps - Please let it be Dark Sun :D
While that's my dream, I somehow doubt it since they're re-releasing the novels that more or less stuck a knife into it. :)

-O

Obryn

Hero
Dark Sun needs Primordials and the 4e elemental chaos like a fish needs a bicycle.
I think that's a little harsh.

A re-imagined Dark Sun could be really cool. I'm a huge fan of the first DS box set, but limiting the designers to parameters set in 2e seems kinda ... well, unfair.

I'll wait and see. It's not like Athas is a real place someone's mucking with; if I don't like the new one, I can always rip off any mechanics I like and revert the setting back to the original. And, I can hope that others enjoy the new setting.

-O

Remove ads