D&D 5E What do you want and not want out of future settings added to 5E?

I know the Forgotten Realms has been published before, but I take every opportunity to point out that there still is not a world map or even a complete map of Faerun for 5E. There is only the Sword Coast.

reelo

Hero
Probably something like the Dawn War from 4e or the First World legend from Fizban's Treasury of Dragons. They'd also probably not have any metal weapons (like Dark Sun, but with bone, flint, wood, and stone weapons all being fairly common), and a higher focus on the more primal classes, like the Barbarian, Druid, and Ranger than on the Arcane or Divine ones, like the Cleric, Paladin, Wizard, or Warlock (there'd still be Sorcerers, but the magical bloodlines would be very new, and Bards would probably be much more common than Clerics or Wizards).

Oh, and lots of Dinosaurs, Mammoths, Saber-Toothed Tigers, and similar creatures. And limited base races, probably with Lizardfolk (or Saurials) being one of the most common humanoid species in the setting.
What about the Primeval Thule setting?

Lyxen

Great Old One
I think adding tech levels to equipment lists in the DMG would be a good way to go.

Stone Age
Bronze Age
Medieval
Renaissance
Modern
Future

Honestly, it would not work. More primitive equipment only has interest if it's more fragile, whereas durability does not exist in 5e, and reducing damage is not fair to martial classes anyway. As for more modern equipment, it very quickly creates other problems of balance. 5e has voluntarily reduced the complexity of weapons anyway, making these only flavour.

In Odyssey of the Dragonlords, we have bronze weapons and armor, but with exactly the same stats as in the core rules, it works well, and it adds the proper level of fluff but without adding whole layers of crunchiness and imbalance.

Honestly, it would not work. More primitive equipment only has interest if it's more fragile, whereas durability does not exist in 5e, and reducing damage is not fair to martial classes anyway. As for more modern equipment, it very quickly creates other problems of balance. 5e has voluntarily reduced the complexity of weapons anyway, making these only flavour.

In Odyssey of the Dragonlords, we have bronze weapons and armor, but with exactly the same stats as in the core rules, it works well, and it adds the proper level of fluff but without adding whole layers of crunchiness and imbalance.
I wouldn't change stats, jut what was available. And really, a pointy stick is a pointy stick, whether it was made in the stone age or the iron age. A bronze shortsword might wear more quickly than an iron one, but it stabs you equally dead, and any competent hero maintains their gear. But you can't make a usable greatsword out of bronze, it would bend under it's own weight.

Lyxen

Great Old One
I wouldn't change stats, jut what was available. And really, a pointy stick is a pointy stick, whether it was made in the stone age or the iron age. A bronze shortsword might wear more quickly than an iron one, but it stabs you equally dead, and any competent hero maintains their gear. But you can't make a usable greatsword out of bronze, it would bend under it's own weight.
Then you don't need any rules in the DMG, just choose your own availability tables.

Remove ads