D&D (2024) What do you want & expect to see in 2024's 5.5e?

What do you want & expect to see in 2024's 5.5e?

And does enworld need a 5.5e prefix?

I think Monsters of the Multiverse will be a preview of what we can expect from the MM, but bigger of course, both in Monster design, presentation, and formatting, but most shocking of all by adding an expanded races chapter.

I think the PHB will have a few more races. I think Monsters of the Multiverse give us an idea on how they plan to handle subraces.

I think Artificer and if all goes right Psion will be added to the PHB.

Races will be rebalanced.

I think new two weapon fighting rules will come out.

I think better feat rules might come.

The DMG will have HUGE rewrites.

I think all three books will be bigger.

Full compatibility.

Spells will get updated, some tossed out, so fixed and others added.

I think MtG art will end up in the book.

The DMG might also deal with MTG settings.

Shiroiken

Legend
I expect a change to races. Probably being changed to heritage, species, or some other non-politically charged term. Ideally they'll rebalance them to fit the new style promoted by Tasha's and future products.

What I want out of the "update" (whatever they call it) has basically a snowballs chance you know where. The most likely of which involves rebalancing some classes, sub-classes, and feats. Given their track record though, I'm not hopeful.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I like "five fifty" as a way to say it, but I don't think it will stick. 5-50. Or 50e.

On the MM side, just go crazy. And fix the math. If anything, I am a little disappointed with what we have seen. Very small math tweaks, though with the original MM more could and would be justified.

For PHB, please, please, please fix the feats. I don't know if we will get new races or classes outright. The supplements will still be out--and they need to leave space for releases in the future. I expect a lot of weaker options to get boosted, and some small amount of nerfing. Maybe more on using skill/abilities, maybe more on exploration, maybe more combat options. Or some of that could be in the DMC. Maybe some new equipment, weapon, and armor traits.

A few big topics--adventuring day, healing and injury, death--I would love "solutions" on. But there may not really be any. Again, maybe updated options.

I expect they'll be bigger books due to combining bits and pieces from other books into one place. I also expect them to add something big and new to convince people who have already bought a bunch of books to buy in.

Assuming I'm right about the big and new piece I want that to be either a new class or an overhaul of the less well received subclasses. Otherwise it'll be hard to justify the purchase since updating things based on Tasha's is pretty easy to do on your own.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
What do you want & expect to see in 2024's 5.5e?

And does enworld need a 5.5e prefix?

I think Monsters of the Multiverse will be a preview of what we can expect from the MM, but bigger of course, both in Monster design, presentation, and formatting, but most shocking of all by adding an expanded races chapter.

I think the PHB will have a few more races. I think Monsters of the Multiverse give us an idea on how they plan to handle subraces.

I think Artificer and if all goes right Psion will be added to the PHB.

Races will be rebalanced.

I think new two weapon fighting rules will come out.

I think better feat rules might come.

The DMG will have HUGE rewrites.

I think all three books will be bigger.

Full compatibility.

Spells will get updated, some tossed out, so fixed and others added.

I think MtG art will end up in the book.

The DMG might also deal with MTG settings.
I expect a product line that is too similar to existing material to reasonably call it 5.5e.

The return of the monster classes, and the template-transitional classes, and the racial parangon racial classes. At least in a book of alternate rules.

Archetypes as pathfinder, or the option to can replace class features.

Racial feats.

The return of the (ki) martial maneuvers from Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords, now when the anime and the donghua (Chinese animation) becoming so popular. The binder with the vestige pact magic was an interesting idea.

I would like more classes beyond the artificier and the coming-soon mystic. When the blood-hunter?

teitan

Legend
I don't expect any sort of 5 anywhere near it beyond "50th Anniversary Edition" with it being mostly tweaks like including Tasha's rule with the default core races we already know being examples of how to build a "typical" version, or "fast build" version of a race. I expect maybe two to three subclasses added in. More feats with the layout calling out optional rules more efficiently. Expansions to the monsters available, integration of vehicle and naval rules with the PHB or DMG. Rewrites for clarity with a big ol' FR book as well. Multiverse is the beginning, there WILL be a Greyhawk setting and Planescape, but FR will be the big kahuna.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases