D&D (2024) What do you want & expect to see in 2024's 5.5e?

Greg K

Legend
What I want and expect are two different things. What I want (is the following which I thought I had posted the other day):
  • Darkvison: Go back to 3e low-light vision, darkvision and for less things to have darkvision
  • Humans should work more like Rich Howard's Ultimate Adaptability or better remove non-biological aspects from races and use the article as an example for environment/culture being an additional choice for all races.
  • More PHB races: Deva, Kobold, Goblin, Lizardfolk, Orc
  • Tieflings to have abyssal and infernal types
  • All class too receive their subclasses at first level (Otherwise some level 1 class variants for Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Fighter, Rogue, Ranger)
  • Either stretch the 1-10 levels (or 1 to 12) to 1-20 or have PHB 1 cover levels 1-10 or 1-12 and PHB2 cover the rest (or is a supplement for mythic fantasy).
  • Tohe full spellcasters toned down. 7th-9th were not originally meant for players (if necessary move them to an Epic level/ mythic fantasy book/supplement)
  • More classes in PHB: Alchemist (separate from the Artificer), Arcane Warrior, Scholar, Shaman, Warlord, Witch
  • Berserker change Exhaustion to a fatigued/winded condition that can be removed with a short rest.
  • Cleric: would like to see on a warlock like chasis with much shorter general base list
  • Fighter could use more subclasses, fighting styles, and maneuvers
    • subclasses: Brawler, Corsair, Commander, Duelist, Gallant, Kensei, Lancer, Musketeer, Swashbuckler, Hospitaer/Templar, a Wuxia (ki based warrior)
    • if subclasses are not at first level, a Light Armor Fighter variant at first level
    • Tasha's styles and maneuvers
  • Monk: needs more customization to reflect styles and some other changes
  • Ranger: The Ranger should be non-magical by default with magic via subclasses (see AgenderArcee's Martial Ranger on r/Unearthed Arcana and GM Binder for an example)
  • Rogues
    • Thieves Cant should be a background language for Criminal and, maybe, Urchin,
    • class could use more subclasses in PHB
  • Sorcerer: add a general Arcane Origin for a magic family. a Fey blood origin, and create a smaller tailored base list.
  • Wizards: break the spell list down. Reduce the number of spells in the spell list by tailoring it
  • Feats: some need rebalancing and reworking.
    • for example make Great Weapon Fighter and Sharpshooter based on PB. up to PB as penalty/ bonus based on twice the penalty taken
  • Changes to address the ease to bypass/minimize exploration in the wild
  • Crticial hits should just be weapon or unarmed damage die maxed and roll a second die
  • Some spells reworked/releveled or abandoned
    • Example: True Strike should just make the target's next attack a natural 20, but not a crit (taken from Mike Mearls's Book of Iron Might (Malhavoc Press) for 3e)
  • add downtime from Xanathar's and Tasha's
  • add Companion /Sidekick rules
  • The DMG should include:
    • skill points, armor as DR, wound/ vitality, touch AC, glancing blow as optional rules
    • More conditions Bleeding, Bloodied, Dazed Fatigued/Winded, Frozen, Shakened, Slowed, Staggered, Swallowed, Weakened Ability as options (or move to PHB)
    • More dials/variants for death and dying (fix the whack a mole), lethality, resting
    • actual dials and guidelines for tailoring the game: low magic, sword & sorcery, gothic fantasy, romantic fantasy, mythic fantasy
Now, what I expect is something that will make want to stick with 5e or move to another system entirely

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
I would like to see armour (and shield) proficiencies eliminated.

Instead, all light armours should give AC 11, all medium armours 12, and all heavy armours give AC 13. And shields give no AC bonus.

But for those classes known for the use of armour, they get a class feature (optional in some cases) to give them 'full' use of the armours in their category.

Horwath

Legend
returning armor from 3.5e style with max dex bonus, variable ACP for dex skills and just STR requirements for ALL armor.

I.E:
leather armor, AC 11 +dex(max 6), min str 8
hide armor, AC 12 +dex(max 5), min str 10
chain shirt, AC 13 +dex(max 4), min str 12
scale mail, AC 14 +dex(max 3), min str 14
chain mail, AC 16 +dex(max 2, min str 16, penalty -1
plate, AC 18 +dex(max 1), min str 18, penalty -2

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases