• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you want from a campaign setting?

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
jaldaen said:
Here's a few interesting questions... For campaign settings that introduce new rules... would you want a "cheat sheet" in the back of the book that provides quick reference to the important rules in the campaign setting? What about character sheets for a campaign do you like character sheets tailored to the campaign setting to be included (or just give it to you as a free pdf?)? Also what are the kind of products you would pick-up as a player in campaign setting?

Cheat sheet maybe, but not if it costs something to the overall publication.

Include a Character Sheet in the back, perferably easily torn out perforated edge and all. And provide the PDF for free download.

For products to pick up, if I like the setting. Then I will buy the set. If not, I stop at the setting.

Gansk

Explorer
jaldaen said:
So something similar to the way Iron Kingdoms was introduced by putting out the Witchfire Trilogy? Anyone else think its better to introduce a campaign setting through adventures, than through a campaign setting book? Or would putting both out at the same time (in the same product or seperate products) be a better way of doing it?

Simultaneously is better. I think people waited years for the IK setting book to come out. By that time it lost momentum (for me, at least).

jaldaen

First Post
Gansk said:
Simultaneously is better. I think people waited years for the IK setting book to come out. By that time it lost momentum (for me, at least).

Good point ;) I'll be sure to do a lot of follow-up with the setting and quickly.

jaldaen

First Post
Here's a few questions for you:

Would you be willing to purchase a campaign setting that was made up of lots of small low priced pdfs (8-36 pages, such as a quick play guide, an adventure seeds guide, adventures, and lots of follow-up products detailing new locales, organizations, magic items, etc...)?

What if the smaller pdfs were offered in bundle deals (would that make you more likely to purchase?

Or would you want one big high priced pdf (96+ pages)?

Would you be turned off by a pdf-only campaign setting?

Note: both small pdf and large pdf options would have lots of small pdf follow-up products.

Any comments, questions, or suggestions? Thanks :)

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
jaldaen said:

Would you be willing to purchase a campaign setting that was made up of lots of small low priced pdfs (8-36 pages, such as a quick play guide, an adventure seeds guide, adventures, and lots of follow-up products detailing new locales, organizations, magic items, etc...)?

What if the smaller pdfs were offered in bundle deals (would that make you more likely to purchase?

Note: both small pdf and large pdf options would have lots of small pdf follow-up products.

Any comments, questions, or suggestions? Thanks :)

If you do it as a bunch of little ones, make a 'freebie' quick play guide. Small pdf, hook them in. Then all your paid ones make very detailed and specific to itself.

jaldaen said:

I love pdfs - mainly due to lack of space to store books - so a pdf-only setting would be a plus, if anything.

I'm not keen on lots of little pdfs, but only because I'm lazy enough to want to be able to buy it all at once (a bundle would help here - especially if it involved a "discount" so I think I'm getting a "bargain") and I don't like having to refer to several files at once.

However, I'd love to buy little follow up pdfs that detailed new locations, so long as they had pretty maps and could be adapted to other settings with relatively little work.

I wouldn't be interested in new organisations. I always seem to have far more organisations then I can reasonably fit into a campaign anyway, and I prefer my own organisations to anyone else's.

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
I'm a PDF fan as well, have a few gig's worth on my harddrives.
Though I do prefer the feel of a book.
A bundled group of PDF's for a small discount does give one a warm fuzzy.

With the various ones out there, what will seperate yours from the rest. You need the hook, without it you create and it goes nowhere.

Anything you would like to share with us now and get more input on? Feel free to email me if you like. As Funeris will tell you, I love emailing all day.

Yeti

Miln

Explorer
jaldaen said:
Yes. In fact, I would view such a format as an advantage. I'd love to be able to pick and choose which areas of the campaign to explore more fully and which ones to ignore.

jaldaen said:
yes

jaldaen said:
no

jaldaen said:
Not at all.

Also, just as a suggestion, you could offer everything (once you have enough stuff released) in a big compilation and sell it as a Print-On-Demand book at RPGnow.

jaldaen

First Post
TheYeti1775 said:
If you do it as a bunch of little ones, make a 'freebie' quick play guide.

Should the quick play guide be set as an introductory adventure with pre-made characters that help show off the shiny parts of the new setting and rules? Or should it be in another format? What do you want to know from a quick play introductory pdf (short overview of the world, important new rules or concepts, adventure, pre-made characters, etc.)?

jaldaen

First Post
amethal said:
However, I'd love to buy little follow up pdfs that detailed new locations, so long as they had pretty maps and could be adapted to other settings with relatively little work..

This is the plan...

amethal said:
I wouldn't be interested in new organisations. I always seem to have far more organisations then I can reasonably fit into a campaign anyway, and I prefer my own organisations to anyone else's.

Do others feel this way? What if the organizations are only those of great importance to the campaign setting and presented with adventure seeds, npcs, unique items, and other information that flesh out the organization? What other information would you want in an organization pdf that would tempt you to buy it? Or is such a pdf just not of interest to you at all?

Would you prefer organization information to be short and part of another type of pdf? If so what type?

Thanks for your feedback!

Remove ads