• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you want from a campaign setting?

jaldaen

First Post
TheYeti1775 said:
Think of it more as something a DM could give a player that has no knowledge of the world or rules and could quickly have a reference without too much...
Really your freebie most likely would be a 2-4 pager. If want have each section refer to your campaign guide and it's reference points...
Don't put too much Campaign specific stuff into it, remember it is your hook.

Thanks for the rundown of what you'd be looking for in a quick-play guide. Anyone else have some thoughts on what you would like to see in such a guide?

TheYeti1775 said:
Hell you could make it a small contest with the winner receiving free copies of the full PDF set.

Hmmm... interesting idea. I do like contests... I'll have to think about this one. I might not do it exactly like you have in mind, but the gears are turning now that you mentioned the magic word... contest. ;-)

jaldaen

First Post
TheYeti1775 said:
Follow up with a 'Complete Guide to Jaldaen World Organizations'. For the hook on these add in specific goals, plot hooks.

Thanks for the comments... this is definately one of the ideas I'm kicking around. Another would be to put the organizations in the domain/realm books they are linked to... any preferences? Other ideas as to how to introduce organizations?

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
jaldaen said:
Thanks for the comments... this is definately one of the ideas I'm kicking around. Another would be to put the organizations in the domain/realm books they are linked to... any preferences? Other ideas as to how to introduce organizations?

If it's only one or two per region, put them in their own chapter of the region. If your talking all the organizations of Waterdeep, well that could rate it's own PDF.

Like I said before, I like giving my opinion. Even when I shouldn't. :cool:

Another suggestion, if you are only making a continent/island and not a full blown world. Include a section of how to incorporate it into the known worlds (Greyhawk / FR / Krynn / Eberron) and a few suggestions for most homebrews.

Look forward to seeing it.

Yeti

jaldaen

First Post
TheYeti1775 said:
Seen both and have like both, though I prefer if you did any first person that it be locals and the the 'Elminister's or Volvo's of the land'.

Thanks for the feedback.

Anyone else have an opinion on campaign setting narrative voice (in character, omniscient, or both)?

jaldaen

First Post
TheYeti1775 said:
Another suggestion, if you are only making a continent/island and not a full blown world. Include a section of how to incorporate it into the known worlds (Greyhawk / FR / Krynn / Eberron) and a few suggestions for most homebrews.

The campaign setting I've got planned should be able to work in conjunction with any fantasy setting... and I definately plan on including a "how to introduce this setting" section.

TheYeti1775 said:
Look forward to seeing it.

I look forward to getting everything written up for it. ;)

jaldaen

First Post
Any other comments, questions, or suggestions on what you would like to see in a campaign setting? Thanks for all your feedback!

elmuthalleth

First Post
Many maps . And complete descriptions .

And I'd want a COMPLETE world . Not only one or two continents . One example is the Scarred lands CS , who in 3 books detailed all the world .

jaldaen

First Post
elmuthalleth said:
And I'd want a COMPLETE world . Not only one or two continents . One example is the Scarred lands CS , who in 3 books detailed all the world .

Thanks for the feedback... here's a question for you and others:

Do you mind if the "complete world" is put out in lots of small pdfs (with the intention that they can be gathered together into a POD)?

In my estimation this allows people to try out the setting for a low entry cost and if they like it they can buy those campaign products they are interested in (as they need them). Also it makes sure that the setting is constantly getting new material that supports the campaign setting (but not so much that it overwhelms GMs. Also if GMs and players like the campaign setting enough, then they have the option to grab the POD to get all the information in one book.

Thanks again and I look forward to your comments and suggestions.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads