Dragonlance What do you want from a Dragonlance 5e?

PabloM

Adventurer
If you're referring to the Legends trilogy, as iconic as the first trilogy was, Legends was better-written. The smaller cast of characters absolutely worked in Weis and Hickman's favor the second time around.

Let's be honest: although I respect Weiss and Hickman very much, Dragonlance novels are not that good.
Krynn has beautiful characters, interesting locations and adventure hooks in every corner, but it's a good setting to play D&D, no more (or less) than that.

Zardnaar

Legend
Let's be honest: although I respect Weiss and Hickman very much, Dragonlance novels are not that good.
Krynn has beautiful characters, interesting locations and adventure hooks in every corner, but it's a good setting to play D&D, no more (or less) than that.

They were good at the time but have aged terribly. Tried a reread a while ago and bleah.

I don't think we'll get DL anytime soon. Would put money on Spelljammer update 1st. And Darksun.

Tony Vargas

Legend
What would you all like to see in a 5e Dragonlance?
A Psion, Warlord, and/or Shaman.

Not because they'd have anything much to do with Dragonlance - though I suppose the last two would be nice support classes to have in the hypothetical absence of deity-powered classes - just because, y'know, it's been 5 years, already...

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
A Psion, Warlord, and/or Shaman.

Not because they'd have anything much to do with Dragonlance - though I suppose the last two would be nice support classes to have in the hypothetical absence of deity-powered classes - just because, y'know, it's been 5 years, already...
Oh come on, in this thread too! I actually agree with your sentiment, but, is this really related to Dragonlance?

Tony Vargas

Legend
I actually agree with your sentiment, but, is this really related to Dragonlance?
Well, a Warlord wouldn't exactly be out of place in a setting defined by a war, and a Shaman could be a nice alternative if your deities abandon you. So, sure, why not.

(Besides, it was the least-snarky thing I could come up with...)

generic

Well, a Warlord wouldn't exactly be out of place in a setting defined by a war, and a Shaman could be a nice alternative if your deities abandon you. So, sure, why not.
No, I will not allow that to be what is taken from this exchange. Not to be rude, but what you have done is taken an argument that was occurring in a now-defunct thread, and thrown it into an unrelated thread like a grenade.

In your post, you said that you wanted these additions: "Not because they'd have anything much to do with Dragonlance - though I suppose the last two would be nice support classes to have in the hypothetical absence of deity-powered classes - just because, y'know, it's been 5 years, already...".

You're making an argument about class diversity, not Dragonlance.

Tony Vargas

Legend
You're making an argument about class diversity, not Dragonlance.
Class diversity is helpful in a lot of contexts, especially one like Dark Sun or Dragonlance that has in-fiction reasons to remove or restrict traditional classes.

Dragonlance did feature gods gone missing with attendant lack of the Clerics AD&D relied upon, IIRC, and Shamans and Warlords are support characters that work w/o gods (I mean, so are Bards, so it's not like XOMG, you really need this or anything).
Or did that whole absentee gods thing get resolved?

generic

Class diversity is helpful in a lot of contexts, especially one like Dark Sun or Dragonlance that has in-fiction reasons to remove or restrict traditional classes.

Dragonlance did feature gods gone missing with attendant lack of the Clerics AD&D relied upon, IIRC, and Shamans and Warlords are support characters that work w/o gods (I mean, so are Bards, so it's not like XOMG, you really need this or anything).
Or did that whole absentee gods thing get resolved?
Please stop changing your argument. In your original post, you made an explicit mention of the fact that your opinion had no relation to Dragonlance. Your post is right there, and I already quoted it.

You explicitly stated that you had no interest in these opinions for the purpose of developing Dragonlance-related ideas, but merely wished to express frustration over class design principles.

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
The book to come with a pack of 10 bricks. On each brick is an AL cert that says "This player may play the Kender Halfling subrace in any AL game in any setting".

You are allowed to present the 'Cert Brick' by throwing.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Please stop changing your argument. In your original post, you made an explicit mention of the fact that your opinion had no relation to Dragonlance.
"not anything much to do with," as you clearly read, and quoted, but you asked if it was 'really' related to Dragonlance - and it didn't seem like a huge stretch.

You explicitly stated that you had no interest in these opinions for the purpose of developing Dragonlance-related ideas, but merely wished to express frustration over class design principles.
Principles?
No, just pace of release... and priority, I suppose. Why Ebberon (and thus Artificer) before Darksun (and presumably Psion), for instance? Again, nothing much to Dragonlance, other than, well, you could speculate about what the priority might be with it? It hasn't had anything in several eds, right?

Remove ads