Dragonlance What do you want from a Dragonlance 5e?

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Reply to OP.

If they ever do release Dragonlance for 5e, then I’m with Twiggly the Gnome.

But if they aren’t gonna do that, well then I want them to go WH40K-crazy and embrace the war elements of Dragonlance to its fullest extent.
Have absolutely everything revolve around the war. EVERYTHING. Every mission, every interaction with every NPC...

Basically, turn Krynn into a medieval Rogue One on steroids.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
What? No Orcs?

I wasn’t aware of that. Can’t say it makes a big difference. They had hobgoblins serving as footsoldiers to the evil army. Now if they had had no standard evil humanoids races that would have made a difference.
It's true. One of the ways you can tell that many of the old Dragonlance novels were written to be set in a different setting is how things like orcs slip through and get a mention sometimes.

But canonically, there are no orcs on Krynn.

Coroc

Hero

I am not sure "replace the Heroes of the Lance with your own PCs" really gets us anything particularly interesting. We all know what's at stake, the major issues and plot points that'd have to be hit. I can just read the books. I think we'd be better off with, "While the Heroes of the Lance are in motion, what else is going on?"

Yea that might only be interesting for people who do not know the story and did not read the books or absolute hardcore RP enthusiasts who in that case, might want to recreate the thing using the original characters.
Your suggestion sounds a lot like how the LOTRO MMORPG works, you are above below in front and behind the protagonists to fix things without altering the metaplot.
Tbh that metaplot is one of the biggest strengths and weakness of DL at the same time. Back then in 2e/1e times we did already note this. The gold box computer games which were DL themed were - although pure tactical combat, and meager graphics compared to todays stuff - absolute fun and challenging to play, but you rarely interacted with the big boys.
Other computer games around that theme used the heroes steered by the player.
The most impressing thing was Dragonstrike, a D&D based dragon flight/combat simulator.
There you could reenact what a Solamnic knights real task was, riding a dragon armed with a dragonlance and controlling the dragons breath weapon, also with the lance.
Not many other products had this level of epic I can tell you that.
But getting that feeling to the table is difficult, when at the same time you got to push it in the right direction so that possible deviations to the metaplot by your PCs do not lead to absurd situations in which you only can wing it from one improvisation to the next and maybe miss the intended target anyway.
That is helluva difficult for a DM, considering 5e freedoms which were not available in 2e. I have some good ideas and read about good ideas how to do the mechanical stuff and some of the rules fluff of the setting in 5e, but other than your suggestion on how to handle the metaplot or others similar ideas, I do not see how this can be done in a simple way.

I would ask information about Adlantum, the third continent. (Atlantis ersatz? )

A decent cartoon adaptation teleserie, not too violent, or at least the option of a censored version for +7 children. It is supossed this has to be a hook for new fans. Why not a coproduction with Disney?

An open door for ucronies or parallel worlds/timeline. Let's imagine a story where lord Soth is the darklord of Sithicus, but this time the domain is in the shadowfell, not in the original demiplane of the dread, and he has to save his family and other souls in the fire between the kingpriest from "There is Another Shore, You Know, Upon the Other Side" and the god Raitslin. (and Raitslin's daughter exist in at least one of the crystal spheres). The kingpriest ruling a wicked version of anti-Ravenloft, teorically a land where goodhood is ruling but really it's the opposite.

The return of the spider-dragons, updated version, with a look as a sci-fi horror movie style aliens or bug-hunt.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
I don't see a generic setting release working well because it's too similar to Forgotten Realms already. You've got wizards? So do we (except they wear colored robes). You've got dragons? Us too.

What captivated people in Dragonlance was the story. Yes, the modules were a straight shot to a particular path, but people knew that and played them anyways because there was something epic about being the ones to bring back clerical magic and face the impossible might of the Dark Queen. Once you became enchanted with that type of setting, you'd branch out, try adventures in other areas. But I'm a believer it all started with the books and the first modules.

Like Dark Sun wish-lists, we don't want the PHB reskinned. We want something brand-new and unique. If you're going to make Dragonlance marketable, it can't be more of the same, and there needs to be a hook. Why play this (and let's assume you don't have a clue who Margaret Weis or Tracy Hickman are)? The adventures need to bring something special. We've seen the War of the Lance from one perspective, but can we bring in the minotaur perspective, the Irda, the gnomes, and link together their struggles into one massive campaign? We're talking new spells, artists (Jeff Easley?), new races, perhaps new rules on aerial combat with dragons. It's daunting, but I do hope WoTC finds a way to branch out, keep bringing fresh material to the table, and enchant the fans.

Celebrim

Legend
I have always felt the release of the original Dragonlance marked the high water mark in the RPG hobby.

At the time, I just assumed this was just the hobby coming of age, and that by this time we'd have a dozen different RPG centered stories as famous, epic, and impactful as Dragonlance.

I would like to eventually see a "Saltmarsh" treatment for the Dragonlance modules, perhaps as three hardbacks, adapted to 5e just because I think that we're getting to the point that people could fall in love with the original all over again.

I do think guidance on how to use your own PC's in the roles of the NPC's in the story would be welcome, and I can imagine many ways to do that by having DMs and players work jointly on backstories and giving the DMs customizable backstory cards that let PCs with slightly different backgrounds still plug into the story as needed.

Anoth

Adventurer
I would like the setting to take place after all the wars. I would like cool archetypes for each moon. I would like really good archetypes for the solamnic knights also. I don’t think the sorcerer or warlock class have a place in Dragonlance. That may be a problem. You may be able to work the warlock in as a specialty priest. But the sorcerer class does not have a place. Wizards are sorcerers in Dragonlance. They have the towers of high sorcery that have nothing in common with the sorcerer class.

There is, maybe, a little trick to can add new races and classes. It would allow the existence of different timelines, ucronies or parallel earths, the one from the short story "There is Another Shore, You Know, Upon the Other Side", and the future of the Twins Trilogy where Raistlin becomes a god but all is destroyed.

Maybe this second future really is a dark domain within the demiplane of the dread. Or the creation of a new Sithicus, a demiplane on the shadowfell "near" Krynnsphere because the Ravenloft franchise "wants to open a new shop in the city". And we could add spelljammers invading the Krynnsphere but also some chronomancers trying to avoid this.

Other idea is a "Dark Sun" of Dragonlance, without desserts nor defilers, where former gods are almost mortals, advicers more rulers because they can't controll clergy, but this controlls "immortals". There is defiler magic, but this doesn't kill plants, but create a toxic shadow mist of necrotic energy, plants are immune, but animals and humanoids are poisoned, and undeads become stronger.

Remove ads