D&D (2024) What do you want to see excised?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Dump dungeons: the idea of giant underground buildings full of monsters and treasure is so 1980's video game.
Indeed. In the 2020s we've modernized - now it's giant flying buildings full of monsters and treasure... :)
Dump dragons: they are absolutely overdone in modern media. I mean, HBO has a new series about dragons and I'm like "yawn". Maybe they should try to focus on new monsters. Like mind flayers.
One could say dragons have been overdone since the mid 80s, but they're still cool anyway.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
More than excise, I want consolidation of a few options that step on each other's toes. The Undying Patron should be excised because it's essentially telling the same narrative as The Undead and can be considered consolidated there. I want The Hexblade Patron consolidated with a more vigorous Pact of the Blade (make each of the Pact Boons more vigorous, without requiring Invocations to pump them up).

I want Death Cleric and Grave Cleric to be a single Death Domain option that can add necrotic damage to weapon attacks or to potent cantrips. No need for a Good Death Cleric and an Evil Death Cleric. If you're going to use Death Domain to mean Slaughter and Pestilence and the horrors of war, maybe you need another domain like "Destruction Domain" or something.

I want Arcane Archer to be split into Arcane Archer and Primal Seeker, utilizing the Arcane and Primal spell lists to some extent respectively.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
More than excise, I want consolidation of a few options that step on each other's toes. The Undying Patron should be excised because it's essentially telling the same narrative as The Undead and can be considered consolidated there. I want The Hexblade Patron consolidated with a more vigorous Pact of the Blade (make each of the Pact Boons more vigorous, without requiring Invocations to pump them up).

I want Death Cleric and Grave Cleric to be a single Death Domain option that can add necrotic damage to weapon attacks or to potent cantrips. No need for a Good Death Cleric and an Evil Death Cleric. If you're going to use Death Domain to mean Slaughter and Pestilence and the horrors of war, maybe you need another domain like "Destruction Domain" or something.

I want Arcane Archer to be split into Arcane Archer and Primal Seeker, utilizing the Arcane and Primal spell lists to some extent respectively.
I love ideas 1 and 3.

Leave my Death and Grave clerics alone. hehe.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
The tendency to have the "Yes And" improv technique as some kind of holy word of god end all perfection of GM'ing. The trouble with this is that "No Because" & "Yes But" are the other two sides of that same set of improv techniques & when a GM uses either of those it gets harsh scrutiny with little consideration for if those are better choices or choices pushed because the player pushing yes and dropped the ball in a way that pushed the others first.

dmg287 has this pushing yes and
You decide how flexible you want to be in allowing
a player character to break these restrictions. Can a
half-elf live among the elves and study their bardic
traditions? Can a dwarf stumble into a warlock pact
despite having no connection to a culture that normally
produces warlocks? As always, it's better to say yes and
use the player's desire as an opportunity to develop the
character's story and that of your world, rather than
shutting down possibilities.
Yet the words "yes but" & "no because" no not seem to even appear in the dmg

Remove ads