• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What does a Kraken look like?

Most of the picture in the MM are great at helping you visualize the creature, but the kraken's pictures are just confusing. On the full-color picture, I can't tell where the tentacles are coming from; the way it's cut off makes it look like they are all sprouting from the right side of its body (or perhaps underneath).

The sketch pictures would usually really help--but the sketch pictures for this one just make it even harder to figure out. Two shells. I can't see how they can be different angles of the same shell, so apparently they are demonstrating how krakens can vary in appearance. The one thing they help with is showing a couple of tentacles coming out of holes in the shell. Other than that, I can't find how they fit with the large picture. There doesn't appear to be a shell at all on the back of the large picture--just a creature with a head, two front and rear flippers, a long paddle-like tail, and tentacles coming from off the page.

Can anyone help me out here? I love what they've done with the creature from a conceptual and mechanical standpoint, but I can't figure out what the thing actually looks like. :confused:

Ravenheart87

Explorer
I suppose the chaos is intentional. You'll only see tentacles and an ugly maw before the end, just like in the new Clash of the Titans. It's up to you how the monster actually looks, but if you're looking for what the designers and artists intended, this entry with the Kraken preview might be useful.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
cracken.gif

Dausuul

Legend
Based on Ravenheart's link (thanks!), it appears that the kraken is the head and front fins of some armor-plated primeval fish, with a nest of backward-pointing tentacles instead of a tail. I guess they decided "evil giant squid" wasn't scary enough.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
I always picture the Kraken as being a giant squid at least twice the size of a sperm whale.

As to the depiction in the MM, remember that every artist is going to have his-or-her own notion about what any particular creature should look like. The depictions can differ from one edition to another, or even differently over the course of a single edition.

It's best to use your browser to look for different images online, then, assuming you're running a game, cherry-pick what you like best to throw at your gamers. But don't kill them; just make them afraid they're going to die.

painted_klown

First Post
I suppose the chaos is intentional. You'll only see tentacles and an ugly maw before the end, just like in the new Clash of the Titans. It's up to you how the monster actually looks, but if you're looking for what the designers and artists intended, this entry with the Kraken preview might be useful.
The full uncropped picture is MUCH better. Thanks for the link.

Scorpio616

First Post
I'm suspecting during the development cycle Wotc wanted a 'kraken' that could fight on after losing all it's tentacles without seeming incredulous. thus the fishlike body.

I always picture the Kraken as being a giant squid at least twice the size of a sperm whale.

As to the depiction in the MM, remember that every artist is going to have his-or-her own notion about what any particular creature should look like. The depictions can differ from one edition to another, or even differently over the course of a single edition.

It's best to use your browser to look for different images online, then, assuming you're running a game, cherry-pick what you like best to throw at your gamers.
Sound advice. I've really wanted a miniature / model kit of this critter from Biohazard / Resident Evil 5 for a kraken mini.

irvingtransformedconcept.jpg

But don't kill them; just make them afraid they're going to die.
No, do kill them if it is what the dice indicate. Death is a surmountable obstacle in D&D. Also while some may try to paint them as a masochistic minority, there are many players who do not want to be be protected from failure.

Remove ads