D&D (2024) What does Backward compatibility mean to you?

What does Backward compatibility mean most to you as a player?

• I can use content from 5e and 1DnD in the same PC

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • A PC built with 5e PHB and a PC built with 1DnD rules can play together

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • 5e material can be easily migrated to 1DnD with minimal work

Votes: 47 40.9%
  • Other

Votes: 9 7.8%

They can just turn off the Feat variant from the 2014 book while allowing the core options. Feats are not a standard part of the rules.
no, you can't turn off feats, 2024 appears not to be optional.

if a new player buys the 2014 phb from a garage sale or used book store and comes to the table, no one is going to say "That's okay play that character" they are going to say "That's out of date, here is the updated one"

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
no, you can't turn off feats, 2024 appears not to be optional.

if a new player buys the 2014 phb from a garage sale or used book store and comes to the table, no one is going to say "That's okay play that character" they are going to say "That's out of date, here is the updated one"
In 201r, the Feat rules are options. So they can ignore that section entirely.

We always mixed 3.0 and 3.5 books without the world exploding, and I'm sure more people did.

It's interesting that for some people, the entirety of the Adventure can be perfectly playable under the "new" rules, but if a race, subclass, background, or monster in the short chapter in the back of the book does not line-up, then that book is NOT COMPATIBLE and is essentially garbage now!
this appears to be a strawman (I hope one made in good faith) nobody is saying that the book is not compatible but some level of the rules are not.

so far it appears no background will be
no race will be

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
this appears to be a strawman (I hope one made in good faith) nobody is saying that the book is not compatible but some level of the rules are not.

so far it appears no background will be
no race will be
Literally every Race is compatible in the playtest as is, with the wave of a simple sidebar. Old Backgrounds can be fixed by allowing the choice of a Feat. It's really not hard.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I think that's a bit of a stretch. The delta of capability between a party having 5 PCs compared to 4 is a lot greater than any of the proposed changes so far, and I don't think anyone is advocating that you have to redo the entire adventure depending on if that 5th person shows up.
You do have to modify the encounters, though, if a 5th PC shows up. If you don't, the adventure will be too easy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads