D&D 5E What does balance mean to you?

Great post, lots of awesome thoughts.

1. What does balance mean to you?
— I agree that ‘balance’ is imprecise a term. I get the sense it’s a non-starter with respect to actually determining good vs. bad practices in games. The approach I’ve taken in my campaign is ‘balance’ only matters insofar as players don’t outshine each other. In a contrived example, if I’m a really really good rogue, and my battle buddy is a really really good barbarian, that only creates opportunity if we play to our strengths. Some of the trouble this approach creates is mitigated by the fact the players I’m DM’ing for metagamed to the extent that they tried to find builds that would compliment one another. ‘Metagamed’ might not be the most precise term, but I believe good metagaming exists and I’d rather let the players design a sound party composition than have me try to continually build circumstances where two or more players can comfortably fill the same niche.

2. When you balance an encounter, what is your desired outcome for that encounter? Do you balance combat on the encounter level, the adventuring day level, or the campaign level?
— I mostly hope that each combat scenario moves the story forward in some way, regardless if they’re able to defeat the opposing force. My thinking is akin to how fights work in a kung fu movie or how the songs work in a musical; the protagonists don’t always win but regardless the drama grows in interesting directions.
More to the spirit of the question, I generally attempt to balance encounters for the session, i.e, the span of time the players are expected to be at the table. Our group tends to have 2-3 combat scenarios per session with roleplay opportunities in between, so I try to have two easier fights and one harder fight prepared.
The exact parameters of these fights change depending how the players behave. For instance, a fight against a group of monstrosities might turn into a fight against a group of bandits if the players decide to go into a city rather than into a forest. But I try to keep the same narrative velocity of combat difficulty, that way, the session itself has a climax and we go home on a high note.

3. When you look at your players/other players what things make you feel like something is not balanced?
— Similar to other responses, I consider the game imbalanced if a player isn’t able to perform the (combat/roleplay) goals they designed their character for. DM-player communication should ideally mitigate any instances where a player designed a character who’s outright not useful to the campaign.
I think there might be something to the idea that imbalance can manifest as one character being more effective? feature-rich? than others, but in my (limited) experience, that hasn’t caused friction in a circumstance where all the players have distinct design goals.

4. If you claim that you do not worry about balance in your encounters, what are your overall desired outcomes from combats?
— Overall, I want the outcomes of encounters to move the story forward. Said another way, it’s way more important for me to know the players are resolving conflicts that are relevant to their (character’s) interests.
Maximizing whether or not the story moves forward might come down to whether or not the players feel like they can choose meaningful conflicts to engage in, so I might say ’balance’ is a distraction from whether or not the DM is leading the players to circumstances they’re invested in playing in.

5. If something seems imbalanced to you, how do you go about fixing it?
— In an instance where a player doesn’t feel like he has the opportunity to fulfill his character’s role, I’d generally want to know whether it’s a specific circumstance or a ‘mechanical’ issue that’s causing player to fall short of his expectations. Since ‘imbalanced’ can encompass a lot of things, I feel answering this question more precisely requires more context.

6. In video games or card games something is considered balanced if it has an overall 50% win rate against the field. A character in a fighting game would be imbalanced if it consistently won more than half its matches. Or a deck in Magic would be OP if it was more than 50% to beat the field. In dungeons and dragons that sounds absurd. My parties are probably around 100% win rate. Do either of these numbers make sense to you? Would you play in a game where the players "won" half the time? What does that mean to you?
— In the same way ’balance’ is an imprecise term, the concept of winning and losing combat is also a moving target. If measured solely by whether you defeat opponents in combat, sure, you could ‘win’ D&D. However, I generally don’t think one ‘wins’ D&D in the same way Frodo didn’t ‘win’ Lord of the Rings. (Instead, I might argue Frodo accomplished character goal defined by his relationship with the world.)
Taking a step back, I don’t want my players to necessarily feel like they have balanced odds against the opposition. I want them to surpass their own expectations and feel like badasses in the world, and my role as DM is to maximize the circumstances in which they feel like they really accomplished something. In a combat-to-combat situation, I’m not sure if I could quantify that in a % of instances where they defeated their enemies.

shoak1

Banned
Banned
Honestly, I don't get why there's so much resistance to balance. Balance isn't boring, it doesn't make everything the same, it just brings the power of certain things into line with certain others so that there are no clearly optimal or nonoptimal choices. I've balanced 5e just with a few tweaks here and there to bring other things up to par and nerfed a few others. It's still recognisable as 5e but now if someone wants to make a champion dual wielding handaxes, they'll be just as effective as a BM without having to think too hard about their build choices. Why is that a bad thing to some of you?
Be sure of one thing dropbear8mybaby;7158600 - you will never get a satisfactory answer to that question....

And btw I was aware of recent scientific findings re left brain/right brain - it wasn't meant literally but rather to suggest at the core of this debate over balance is a clash between creativity-dominated individuals and logic-dominated individuals.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
I was unaware that 5e had a tiered class system
5e classes shake out into Tiers much like 3.5, even if the depth of system mastery opportunities is limited by the much shorter list of player choices. Neo-Vancian classes, even more flexible than their 3.5 versions remain in Tier 1, followed by other full casters in Tier 2, benighted non-casters in Tier 4, and rest arrayed by the quality of their designs - Tier 3 for most PH sub-classes, lower Tiers for the design goofs. One benefit of putting out far less material is far fewer goofs...

Balance is relative. Can't help but be 'better' than 3.x was, since 3.x intentionally went the other way to reward system mastery...

So you deliberately target PC weaknesses as a metagame contrivance? .
Part of the great latitude 5e leaves open to the Empowered DM who wants to impose some balance, yes.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Honestly, I don't get why there's so much resistance to balance. Balance isn't boring, it doesn't make everything the same, it just brings the power of certain things into line with certain others so that there are no clearly optimal or nonoptimal choices...Why is that a bad thing to some of you?
A number of reasons were articulated with varying degrees of clarity in the course of the edition war.

For instance, take the above comments on 3e, rewarding system mastery is essentially intentional imbalance designed into the system. Then there's the design goal of classic feel, well, the classic game was very poorly balanced.

And those are just the rational, high-level design considerations that mitigate against otherwise desirable game balance.

Fans aren't exactly notorious for their rationality.
;)

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I sense an undertone in some posts that a more "balanced" system was achieved in the previous version of the game.

If that is so, are you playing that game? If not, why not?
4e for sure was, mostly due to there hands-on approach for correct imbalances.

As for why I don't play it: My group doesn't. Otherwise I would (except for the need for a character builder because of the following point).
As for why my group doesn't play it: too much bloat. New powers every so many levels that are just old powers with a power boost, etc. So much so that a character builder became a necessity.

I prefer 5e's approach to "powers," wherein if something scales, it's due to an external feature or is a part of the power, as opposed to a new "Power+" you have to replace with.

Tony Vargas

Legend
As for why I don't play it: My group doesn't. Otherwise I would (except for the need for a character builder).
Digital River still has the CB up, it's essentially usupported, only runs on IE (a legacy accessory in Windows10), and is still buggy as a 4e lamia...

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Neat thread! Guess I better answer the questions:
1- What does balance mean to you?
A:
Image.ashx

But seriously: I looked up the dictionary definition. Balance is "a condition in which different elements are equal or in the correct proportions." This seems about right.

In game design (or any art, really), EVERYTHING is a balancing act. There are so many different kinds of balance: aesthetic balance, competitive balance, intraparty balance, difficulty, spotlight, ingame options, character builds, etc.

2 - When you balance an encounter, what is your desired outcome for that encounter? Do you balance combat on the encounter level, the adventuring day level, or the campaign level?
These days I plan each session as "a game of D&D" in itself, so I guess that puts me on the adventuring day level.

3 - When you look at your players/other players what things make you feel like something is not balanced?
When the barbarian deals twice as much damage as the fighter, and takes half as much damage as the fighter (in addition to having more hit points than the fighter to begin with). When one player doesn't feel like they have enough cool things to do as the other players. When one player gets more attention from NPCs than everyone else. etc.

4 - If you claim that you do not worry about balance in your encounters, what are your overall desired outcomes from combats?
Depends on the encounter. Some are speedbumps, some are severe tire damage. I think it's dangerous to "desire" a certain outcome from an encounter. It's also dangerous to think of monster encounters as "combats," but that's a whole other thread.

5 - If something seems imbalanced to you, how do you go about fixing it?
Depends on the problem. If we're talking about intraparty mechanical imbalance, I'll keep an eye on it, and maybe houserule it for the next campaign.

6 - In video games or card games something is considered balanced if it has an overall 50% win rate against the field. A character in a fighting game would be imbalanced if it consistently won more than half its matches. Or a deck in Magic would be OP if it was more than 50% to beat the field. In dungeons and dragons that sounds absurd. My parties are probably around 100% win rate. Do either of these numbers make sense to you? Would you play in a game where the players "won" half the time? What does that mean to you?
I have played in a campaign where the players won 100% of the time, and it was the most boring thing ever. It's a game. I'm supposed to be challenging myself. If I can't lose, what's the point of all these dice and rulebooks?

A 50% win rate sounds fair. Of course, it should go without saying that "losing" doesn't mean "everyone dies and the campaign ends." It just means you don't accomplish your goal. If you don't save the prisoners in time--sorry, they're dead, you lose. If you don't stop the bad guy from taking over the town--the bad guy takes over the town, you lose. If the villain escapes with the precious artifact--sorry, they have it now, you lose.

Then you continue on from that failure: "OK, the villain stole the evil artifact, took over the town, and killed all the villagers--what are you going to do about it?"

(Also, "50% win rate" doesn't mean you should contrive a perfect 50/50 ratio, but that you should design scenarios you think the party has roughly a 50/50 chance to win or lose.)

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Balance:

No character class is so niche that the adventure has to be specially written to give them a chance to participate. (ex: Bards can do something other than sing in taverns to collect rumors.)

When you level up, the "equal-level" monsters don't get more more-powerful than you do (4e I'm looking at you)

Anything that just wipes out the battlefield (Fireball) can only be done a few times per session.

Most of the time, two PCs can coordinate to take down an enemy without messing up each other doing it. (Fighter vs foe, Archer Ranger fires into melee)

Every class can obtain and use equipment that is away from their specialization, and be basic-competent at it. (Even the Wizard can fire a shortbow when his spell slots run out)

Tony Vargas

Legend
Balance:

No character class is so niche that the adventure has to be specially written to give them a chance to participate.
Ouch. Much as I dislike excessive niche protection it is a way to make each class both distinct and viable, as long as each niche comes up all the time...

When you level up, the "equal-level" monsters don't get more more-powerful than you do
Nor fall behind, I guess? Mostly in D&D, when monsters have had any explicit level, at all, it hasn't correlated well or consistently with PC level.
4e probably came the closet, though it took 3 MMs to get there, and the PH2/Essentials feat taxes over-corrected from PCs nominally falling behind in bonuses (but getting more poweres, scaling leader buffs, items, and bigger crit damage), to them pulling ahead at some points.

Anything that just wipes out the battlefield (Fireball) can only be done a few times per session.
If you have more than a few battles per session...

Every class can obtain and use equipment that is away from their specialization, and be basic-competent at it. (Even the Wizard can fire a shortbow when his spell slots run out)
Sure, and anyone can use thieves' tools, turn undead with a holy symbol, or cast a simple cantrip with a focus....
;p

Last edited:

Remove ads