what does Orc+Elf equal?

LostSoul

Adventurer
TLDR: would you let a PC in any version of D&D play a half elf/half orc (yes as one character) and if so how would you do it?

Since the game seems to be based on 1E I'd just go with a half-elf's stats and reduce the level cap for Magic-User. (Though you could leave that since the mother of this PC is a magic-user herself.)

Elf Witch

First Post
Cernunnos, anyone? Or Herne the Hunter, leading the Wild Hunt. There are precedents....

I am aware of them and have used both in games. I was thinking your common game elf with these huge antlers on their heads. Which followed playing around with mechanics for head butting. Yes I was bored today.

HardcoreDandDGirl

First Post
Thanks everyone, I think I'm close to ready to setup my character.

Here is my thoughts...

+1 str +1 Dex -2 cha
Pale green skin with elven features but pointy teeth, and red eyes that glow in the dark. Dark black hair.

The ability to multi Assassin/Ranger with unlimited Assassin progression but 7-9 in Ranger (based on stat)

Infravision 60ft 30% Resistance to sleep spells.

what do you guys think?

Shiroiken

Legend
I am not making a judgement on how you run your game or your game world.

It is just I have a hard time believing a race of enlightened chaotic good elves would murder in cold blood another sentient being who is not evil based on their birth. It is not like they asked to be born. So for my world it would not make sense just to slaughter this creature out of hand. Not want the creature around and force them out of their territory I can see.

I am all for DMs restricting things that make sense for their world. But I am also for trying to accommodate players wishes when you can.

One of my favorite characters I ever played was a succubus who wanted to be good and was seeking redemption. A lot of DMs would say no they are always evil but the DM in the game was very open minded and was willing to try and allow off the beaten path PCs to a certain extent.
No biggie. I never thought you were making judgements, that's why the *Shrug*. You and I just look at the game differently and I was explaining why I view things the way I do (consistency). I'm quite certain you have solid reasons why you view the game the way you do.

As a side note, I'm also not a huge fan of player accommodation either. I've seen too many players that prefer weirdness for the sake of weirdness, and it can be very disruptive. I'm old school though, so that may be part of it too :)

Celebrim

Legend
In my campaign:
-- Elves & half-elves v. half-orcs & orcs can't interbreed. It's a rule of the universe. (The creations of enemy gods.)
-- Dwarves interbreed with no one. Ditto on Gnomes.
-- Goblinoids can presumably interbreed, but you'd likely just get more of the weaker version, as in goblin + hobgoblin = goblin, goblin + bugbear = goblin. Can goblinoids interbreed with orcs? Probably. Can trolls or ogres interbreed with others? Nope.
-- Halflings are actual the middle ground -- Tallfellows are part elvish, Stouts part Dwarvish, and Hairfoots part gnome. Presumably they can mix with human too, resulting in short humans? Probably can't mix with orcs.
-- Mongrelmen, who can explain their origin, but they do exist. Magical experiments? Magic runoff contaminating the drinking water?
-- There is no such thing as half-dragons. Polymorph doesn't make it possible. It's just another rule of the universe, as in the DM finds the concept annoying. :)

Halflings: Don't exist. See fey.
Orcs: Don't exist. See goblins.
Gnomes: Don't exist. See fey.

Fecund races
Humans: Can interbreed with fey, goblinkind, and elves.
Goblins: Can interbreed with fey and humans.
Elves: Can interbreed with fey and humans, although for a variety of reasons this actually happens quite rarely. There are no half-elf populations, and at any time there might be fewer than a dozen half-elves in the world.
Fey: Can interbreed with just about anything.

Non-fecund races
Dwarfs: Can interbreed only with fey, although this happens rarely.
Orine: Though they find humans and elves mutually attractive and dalliances are frequent, can interbreed only with fey.
Idreth: Can interbreed only with fey, although this happens very rarely.

Dragons: Like fey, could potentially interbreed with just about anything, though in practice almost never successfully and in general, they don't find anything but another dragon to be attractive.
Genii: Like their close cousins the fey, could potentially interbreed with just about anything, though mere mortals are generally considered by them to be beneath them.

Other: All other humanoid or demi-humanoid races are creations of individual deities, and designed to be servitors and further that deities interests exclusively. For example, Kobolds are not little dragon people, but the rat-kin servitor race of a deity called Sormkortek who they serve and worship more or less exclusively (though kobolds are relatively unusual among servitors for practicing, with permission and encouragement of their patron, ancestor worship as well). In general, they can't breed with anything else that isn't also a servitor of the same deity.

Giants: Offspring of the gods and the genii. Like their ancestors, could conceivably breed with just about anything. Physical limitations aside, generally have no desire to do so, though its believed that the race called Hill Giants are mixed giant/human blood and that Ogres are mixed giant/goblin blood.
Aberrations: Created in experiments by a infamous group called The Art Mages - basically, gated in from outside the universe.
Beasts: Another different set of experiments by the The Art Mages - basically, genetic engineering.
Magical Beasts: Most are akin to the concept of native outsiders. Can't really breed with anything but each other, and in fact many are spontaneously generated at least as often or more often than they are results of breeding.
Undead: Can't breed, though can reproduce by killing things.

The above is complicated by magic, which potentially allows almost anything to happen, and deities and similarly potent outsiders which can breed with just about anything and thereby leave pseudo bloodlines behind. For instance, a deity like Ishi could breed with an evil drawf, resulting in a linage of dwarves with divine blood and goblin blood traits even though no actual goblins were involved and even if Ishi did not take on a goblin form. Thus, the most likely parent of a half-dragon is almost certainly the Mother of Monsters, Tiamat herself, who is not nearly as limited in possibilities or attractions as her offspring. This general approach is in keeping with some of the literary inspirations of my campaign world, such as the Greek myths, which make demigods (in the sense at least of being offspring of the gods, not in the D&D sense of capable of supporting clerics) not all that rare or unusual. At any given time, there are a lot more half-gods roaming around than there are half-elves, and most of these are not Divine Rank 0 beings (much less Divine Rank 1).

For any sort of exotic parentage, generally I'd choose an existing racial type and encourage the player to take one of my existing parentage/adoption background traits on character creation.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I was thinking your common game elf with these huge antlers on their heads. Which followed playing around with mechanics for head butting. Yes I was bored today.

Elven ponn farr. Once a century, they grow these antlers....

Lalato

Adventurer
I was working on a campaign a while ago where the interbreeding of orcs and elves resulted in humans. So why not just making him mechanically human?

Elf Witch

First Post
No biggie. I never thought you were making judgements, that's why the *Shrug*. You and I just look at the game differently and I was explaining why I view things the way I do (consistency). I'm quite certain you have solid reasons why you view the game the way you do.

As a side note, I'm also not a huge fan of player accommodation either. I've seen too many players that prefer weirdness for the sake of weirdness, and it can be very disruptive. I'm old school though, so that may be part of it too :)

I have had a player who preferred weirdness for the sake weirdness and I often had to say no or reign him in by allowing some but not all of his ideas. I used to dread character creation. He was a good friend and not an asshat but he often lost sight of the fact that in the end it is a game not a novel. So somethings just don't work mechanically they become either lame ducks or over powered. The worst would be when he tried to be good at everything and I would have to remind him there are other players in the game and you are not a lone hero in a novel.

But I do enjoy interesting role playing characters so it is a fine line as a DM that I walk between wanting that but not getting into over the top cheesy factors.

HardcoreDandDGirl

First Post
Thanks everyone, I think I'm close to ready to setup my character.

Here is my thoughts...

+1 str +1 Dex -2 cha
Pale green skin with elven features but pointy teeth, and red eyes that glow in the dark. Dark black hair.

The ability to multi Assassin/Ranger with unlimited Assassin progression but 7-9 in Ranger (based on stat)

what do you guys think?

I spoke to the DM tonight, and some slight changes...

+1 str +1 Dex -2 cha

The ability to multi Assassin/Ranger with Assassin cap at 11 (12 if I have a 17 dex and 13 if I have 18 dex and 14 if I have a 19, and 15 if I have a 20+) but in Ranger 7(8 if I have 17 wis 9 if I have 18 wis 10 if I have 19 and 11 if I have a 20+wis)

Magic User max at 7th Fighter at 8th and Thief is unlimited

Remove ads