D&D 5E What does "Railroading" actually mean!? Discount Code on Page 8

jgsugden

Legend
You're on a track. It may be the DM saying to the player that their character can't decide to do something. It may be circumstances set up in the game that take away player agency. Whatever the mechanism, the PCs lack choice.

As a DM, I prepare settings and give the PCs a number of ways to approach the situation, but expect that they'll do the unexpected. As such, my mentality is that I'm creating the environment for them to play within, and they're directing he direction the environment needs to grow. In a railroad game, the DM defines the environment the players will play in and then directs how it will evolve as well by limiting their options.

Gilladian

Adventurer
Specifically referencing the OP’s outlined adventure, I don’t think I would call it a railroad, and since there are choices that allow a group to avoid parts and they should KNOW that, it isnt even completely linear. The railroad would come in during the actual game sessions. Can the PCs leave the plot and go elsewhere? Can they subvert the plot and join the villain? Could they decide halfway along that instead of killing the villain, they want to capture him and put him on trial? Is there enough flex in the written material that the DM can handle at least some of thse options without panicking? Because, really, railroading is done by DMs who feel threatened or overwhelmed...

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I don't call that railroading. I call it fraud
It’s a pretty common game design technique. Accounting for all variables is impossible, especially in a game like D&D, so the illusion of choice can be a powerful tool for delivering a well-curated experience while still allowing the player to make decisions that feel meaningful. Like all tools, it has its proper uses but is not appropriate in all situations. And when used poorly it has the opposite of it’s intended effect, making the players feel like their choices don’t matter.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases