D&D 5E What does this photo say to you? [Project: Morningstar)

Tazawa

Adventurer
Our current table already has iPads and other tablets. We also have books, pads of paper, and laptops. I've just about completely gotten rid of paper at work, using my iPad for notetaking, so it only seems natural to do the same for gaming.

I wonder how well it works with a mixture of people--some using tablets and some using paper. If there is an initiative tracker, will the DM be able to add PC slots for the players who aren't using the program?

unan oranis

First Post
yeaaaaah people are going to get distracted surfing the web and chatting and all that, showing youtube clips and playing music...

So it will have it's perils.

But the rewards are staggering.

Storminator

First Post
Looks like last night's game - with me as the only PnP gamer. I haven't ponied up for Hero Lab, so I have to print out.

And printing last week was a comedy of errors (6 failures before printing, then my PC almost died :D), so I might go with the laptop next time.

PS

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I dislike laptop-aided tabletop because generally players are checking sports scores (if not actually watching the game) rather than managing their character sheet. I've tried to ban them at my table a number of times and the backlash is always rough. Tablets are less intrusive because they take up less table space and it is harder to swap back and forth between things on a tablet, but it's still a temptation against which I'd rather not compete.

I know the advantages of this strategy I just don't think they outweigh the costs. The time for digital support tools ends when the session begins. YMMV.

AstroCat

Adventurer
Our crew is already, and have been for a while using tablets and laptops, mostly tablets now. Super glad 5E is supporting the digital side as well. Total plus for us.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
If it is tracking game data and allowing DM interaction with select players at a time could be interesting. If it is just a character sheet, not so much.

What it means, player do not have to be "at the game" to game. They could be anywhere and still interact with the other players and DM.

My first reaction is:

OH THANK FUG, BLOODY FINALLY!

My second reaction is:

"I hope to god it works with both Android and Apple devices, because otherwise it will be 100% completely worthless to my group, who have a mix" (and I imagine most groups who have tablets have a mix).

My third reaction is:

"Not even all my group has a tablet that they carry around, and they are both wealthy and tech-savvy (I am the poorest by a very unfunny giant margin), I really hope smartphones and/or laptops work with it as well, and that the DM can easily enter stuff for a player working from paper!" (we have one guy who will use nothing else).

My fourth reaction is:

"It's going to need to let us enter dice rolls manually and easily, because some of my players, no matter how much they love tech, will never use dice-rollers!" (Not even the Android one one of my players wrote!)

But yeah, generally right direction, for sure, just need to know specifics. I will seriously not buy 5E if this shiz is Apple-only, let's be clear on that!

Remove ads