D&D 5E [+]What does your "complex fighter" look like?

Undrave

Legend
A simple rule would be add 5 feet per point of STR modifier to long range?
5 extra feet to both.
I was just watching a movie and thinking of things like a hit that would knock a target prone if either:

1. it was a critical hit, OR
2. it hit by 5 points or more

Choose an option. I prefer the 5 or more rule, but that involves maths, and it seems like "modern" players don't enjoy doing maths as much as older players do. 🤷‍♂️

I like the idea of riders to attacks more than just replacing attacks.
Whatever the case, I'd really like if the mechanics conveyed that fighting isn't just dumbly swinging a big stick, but that it requires intelligence, cunning and guile. Basically that instead of just spending a superiority dice you have to actively engage with the fight and environments.

Another idea I just had is a system where, when you have advantage, you can inflict a minor status ailment (say, you Slow the enemy until the end of your next turn) in addition to damage, but when you attack a target who is already suffering from a specific minor status, you can then inflict a much more serious affliction (say, if their attack currently has a penalty, your hit basically drops their speed to 0 for a while).

Basically, by having different riders trigger other riders on a different technique, you can combo your own hits. And if you have a partner who can also provide status, you might be able to just skip to your more dire attacks.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Man, I wish the game felt that way.

5 extra feet to both.

Whatever the case, I'd really like if the mechanics conveyed that fighting isn't just dumbly swinging a big stick, but that it requires intelligence, cunning and guile. Basically that instead of just spending a superiority dice you have to actively engage with the fight and environments.

Another idea I just had is a system where, when you have advantage, you can inflict a minor status ailment (say, you Slow the enemy until the end of your next turn) in addition to damage, but when you attack a target who is already suffering from a specific minor status, you can then inflict a much more serious affliction (say, if their attack currently has a penalty, your hit basically drops their speed to 0 for a while).

Basically, by having different riders trigger other riders on a different technique, you can combo your own hits. And if you have a partner who can also provide status, you might be able to just skip to your more dire attacks.

If I were designing a D&D-like game from scratch, I would make every class MAD, and make melee combat a rock-paper-scissors kind of thing. Not only would an Int built for martials be viable, one of the things it would do is give you an edge in RPS. I don't know exactly how it would work (everything that comes to mind feels overly complex) but somehow high Int would give you insight into your opponent's choice.

However, as cool as I personally think that would be, it wouldn't really be Dungeons and Dragons.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
This is a nice idea. I could see rogues benefiting (advantage granting SA and possibly a rider). It would also encourage knocking prone to gain advantage, however if the rider isn't sufficient you could still choose to attack twice instead of spending one of those attacks to shove.

There's also Iron Heroes, by Monte Cook, et al., and now owned by... someone else. Maybe @gameprinter ?

The game is basically 7 fighter classes, 2 rogue classes, and a half-baked wizard that performed better with an update. It has a number of interesting mechanics for the classes, although much of it is centered around class focused token pools and long feat chains. I have adapted a number of things from it, however.

Undrave

Legend
This is a nice idea. I could see rogues benefiting (advantage granting SA and possibly a rider). It would also encourage knocking prone to gain advantage, however if the rider isn't sufficient you could still choose to attack twice instead of spending one of those attacks to shove.
You'd have to add new ways to gain advantage (maybe use a different system for 'advantage'?) maybe, or other conditions to trigger the basic riders that's not just advantage.

The idea would be to not make it TOO universal either so that your fights don't all just devolve into 'Shove, stab, next turn STAB STAB' ya know?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
You'd have to add new ways to gain advantage (maybe use a different system for 'advantage'?) maybe, or other conditions to trigger the basic riders that's not just advantage.
Advantage would be the best starting place, but yes you could have other actions / features allow them, perhaps using bonus actions or even reactions.

The idea would be to not make it TOO universal either so that your fights don't all just devolve into 'Shove, stab, next turn STAB STAB' ya know?
I think a few features which would work best with certain classes, particularly Barbarian, Fighter, and Rogue; as Monks have stunning strike already, Paladins have Smites, and Rangers--well--should have something already LOL.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases