D&D 5E What Don't You Like About Dungeons?

Incenjucar

Legend
My point being I still don't think this is "meta play." It's not a default position that one should create a backstory beyond what the rules describe, nor be attached to the character, nor is carefully exploring necessarily "meta play." It's just play, and reasonable play in a dangerous environment, wouldn't you say? What does it matter if said careful exploration is the result of a player having had a previous experience with a mimic or a piercer? The outcome is the same - careful exploration.
And that slogs things down and makes dungeons less fun for me. I'll take cinematic action over examining the door for paint discoloration on the bottom to see if the room floods any day.

I believe it's nobody's business but the player of that character.
we have done this dance before... play how you like but I will not let someone "just happen on" what they know out of game. Sorry but You will not enjoy my games and I don't want to play in yours.
If they do or don't want to do that, it's not my concern. But anyway the assertion is that this happens more in dungeons than elsewhere, and I disagree. There's nothing about dungeons that makes this more prevalent in my view.
I would say the style of play of dungeons lends itself to it more... but you can totally see it in or out of the dungeon.

As a DM, I establish the ground rules that players will keep their meta knowledge as far from the game as they are able to do, and they comply. It's worked extremely well. My players will even do knowledge checks to see if they know about fire/acid vs. trolls. :giggle:
thats what we do... sometimes we call for rolls sometimes we call BS... but 98% of the time we just don't do it.

Incenjucar

Legend
You can certainly have death traps in narrow alleys and canyons rather than in dungeons, it's just the patterns associated with different milieus.

Ive been playing fancy adventures in RPGs for years.

The idea of just crawling through a vaguely cobblestone Doom-esque hallway is like a breath of fresh air.

Theres an aesthetic to that kind of a dungeon you just don't get in your various Morias and Bandit caves.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
And that slogs things down and makes dungeons less fun for me. I'll take cinematic action over examining the door for paint discoloration on the bottom to see if the room floods any day.
Careful exploration doesn't necessarily take a lot of time or need to be a slog either. I'm running a dungeon now that involves careful exploration, social interaction, high stakes, drama, and character development. I would bet that group sees more action in 3 hours than many see in several sessions.

Incenjucar

Legend
Careful exploration doesn't necessarily take a lot of time or need to be a slog either. I'm running a dungeon now that involves careful exploration, social interaction, high stakes, drama, and character development. I would bet that group sees more action in 3 hours than many see in several sessions.
Cool! Sadly not a universal experience. D&D has decades of stories of ten-foot poles and sending fighters and other disposable minions and hirelings toward danger to soak up the death traps.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Cool! Sadly not a universal experience. D&D has decades of stories of ten-foot poles and sending fighters and other disposable minions and hirelings toward danger to soak up the death traps.
Sure, that was the expectation of those editions of the game. The adventuring party was much bigger than what we see nowadays, so some of the people were expendable. Having them die in hilariously complicated ways was part of the fun.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
You can't find a toilet when you need one.
I have been known for decades in my gaming circles for including fully usable toilet facilities (with different design and maybe a quest in itself for how to actually use it without public embarasment) in every single adventurable locale I create, be it a palace in The City of Brass or the Dungeon of the Ooze Overlord. If you gotta go you gotta go.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
So you've decided to play this game called Dungeons & Dragons. But, perhaps after some experience with the game, you've decided you don't like dungeons. I feel like I see this a lot in various online discussions and I find it unusual to take a stance against the very thing the game was seemingly designed around and still continue playing it.

While the game can feature adventure locations and situations that aren't or don't involve dungeons, what is it specifically about dungeons that you don't like? When you hear that it's time for a "dungeon crawl," what sort of negative things does that conjure in your mind? If you're a DM, why do you avoid running dungeons in your own games?
To start off: it's not that I don't like dungeons at all, but rather that I find a fixation upon them dull, for exactly the same reason that if 75% of the enemies you fight were dragons, it would get dull (and I adore dragons.) Dungeons are a part of this balanced breakfast most good campaigns, but they sour quickly if over-used. With that caveat in mind...

I don't like that a lot of dungeons make zero sense if you stop to think about them for even a few minutes. Why is there the guts of an old castle in the middle of nowhere, full of relatively easily-stolen valuables, and a bunch of monsters that wouldn't actually benefit from trying to live there? The MST3k mantra is all well and good, but I want either a strong narrative and/or naturalistic reason why a thing is the way it is.* I can suspend my disbelief once or twice, but after a while those nagging doubts refuse to be ignored. When I hear that something is a "dungeon crawl," that tells me in advance that these sorts of doubts are likely to crop up--and that I'm likely to be given the MST3k mantra ("just repeat to yourself, it's just a game, you should really just relax") if I mention them.

Beyond that, though, dungeons are pretty limited, conceptually. You have actual literal dungeons, crypts/burial sites. Maybe a lost, ruined city now and then. But in general, when someone says "dungeon crawl," they mean an adventure which will:
  • be primarily underground
  • feature mostly things constructed by people (or something sufficiently people-like)
  • have lots of long,. tight corridors, often filled with a pretty standard set of traps (pits, Indiana Jones-style buzzsaws, poison darts, crushing rooms, etc.)
  • not really have much significance beyond the murderhole-heist itself
  • be populated with mindless dungeon things (e.g. gelatinous cubes) or poorly-explained Always Evil soldier-types
  • be formally or at least effectively linear (that is, you can explore where you like, but a fixed sequence of actions is required to get to the end)
  • require a potentially-quite-tedious "how do we get the loot OUT" challenge at the end
There's essentially no room for intrigue, long-term narrative is rare at best, "exploration" feels confined by the nature of the typical dungeon environment, and it generally feels just a bit...well, canned. Instant adventure, just add characters.

If you do like dungeons (or at least like them as much as other adventure locations), what do you like about them? How do you approach them as a player? If you're a DM, what kind of resources do you use to help you design and run them effectively?
Time to get positive! Really classic dungeon crawls make for a great palate-cleanser adventure. Something simple, no frills, just playing the game and being buds. Biggest challenge will be some kind of puzzle or logistical problem. And because a really classic dungeon crawl is a sort of blank canvas, it can have other outside themes painted on it relatively easily. It doesn't offer any richness itself, in much the same way that white rice doesn't offer any richness itself, but it can soak up some other thing's flavor. Of course, that puts a lot of emphasis on the metaphorical sauce, but there's a good reason rice is such a common foodstuff IRL.

(I'm making this a D&D 5e thread because that is the most recent and arguably popular version of the game. If you're going to talk about other editions or even other games, please say so explicitly so as to mitigate misunderstandings as to rules or the like.)
Personally I think these responses are edition-agnostic. If I were going to talk about any specific game, it would be 4e, 13A, or DW. Dungeon crawls tend to be more palatable in 4e/13A because (a) the fights themselves are a lot more interesting, (b) skill challenges give more structured and textured non-combat challenges, and (c) personal quests and other such things allow some intrusion, even in the otherwise "canned" space, of the deeper meaning/long-term stuff that are my true D&D love.

13A isn't quite as tactically rich, but it's pretty close, and it's got some other fun things like montages, and item quirks can make even a bland dungeon crawl more interesting as they add an extra layer of personality. Part of the fun with 13A is just that it leans really heavily into the high-flying action, so even a dungeon crawl should be a dramatic experience.

Finally, DW...well, because of how you're supposed to play it, a "dungeon crawl" is...well. I can't say you CAN'T have one (arguably, that's what my players did for their first adventure), but the nature of the rules makes it so the unknown remains tantalizingly close. "Draw maps, leave blanks," "Think offscreen too," and a bunch of other things...they all combine to ensure that no dungeon crawl ever goes quite the way you think it will. Even if you're the GM.

*As an example, I made an adventure location which was a lost city. That's not really a "dungeon" in the usual sense, but it was an abandoned ruin full of treasure to recover, so it's an approximate fit. I made sure there were answers for the naturalistic and narrative questions about the city. Why was it there? Natural geothermal caldera, city formed from the marriage of co-ruling efreet and marid noble genies. Why was it abandoned? The genie exodus to Jinnistan, long ago. Why was it lost? The desert sand covered up the external land entrance, so it just looked like any other mountain from the outside. Why was it found? The mysterious shifting winds of the past few years have revealed a lot of things previously hidden in the desert, including this. Etc.

Remove ads