D&D General what environments feel lacking in nice people?

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I have a strange desire to do some remixing of what environments are associated with the more or less good guys and bad guys, and then I remembered I am dumb.
so anyway what are the bad-guy themed environments as my mind has decided to betray me once again?

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
How are environments associated with good or evil?

Start with that
yeah the whole line about my mind betraying me is a houmous way to say I fundamentally can't seem to generate anything hence asking for help.
Well, Underdark was always described as sketchy place, with Drow, Duregar, Ilithids, beholders, aboleths, cloakers and generally all kinds of nasty critters.
is the Underdark just tentacle monsters and slavers at this point?

GrimCo

Adventurer
is the Underdark just tentacle monsters and slavers at this point?

Don't know about current lore of Realms, my lore knowledge stops with the end of 3.5 edition. 4th edition updated timeline but i skipped all that. But generally, only good race i can remember from Underdark is Flumph. Everything else was at best neutral, but usually some flavour of evil.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
What do you mean by "environments"? Although up near the top of the list for evil exploiting the oppressed would be a company town mining operation. The battle of Blair mountain is a great place to start looking into such things... It's definitely the equivalent of the bbeg deploying their own high level PC tier combatants to violently put down a bunch of commoners.

I'm not 100% sure these are the two videos I'm thinking of to get started with, but fairly certain that they cover the major events involved.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Well, in my game world:

The most corrupt, vile, and despicable people can be found in the highest offices of government, temples, and guilds. You want to see some truly insidious people doing unspeakable things? start your search in the fanciest buildings and look for people wearing the fanciest clothes. Power corrupts, after all.

And similarly, if you want to find the bravest, most honest and goodhearted people in the realm, you should start in the workhouses, the orphanages, and hospitals. There, you will find people who give everything they have to build and keep their communities safe, folks who face hunger and death and cruelty every day and still muster the strength to do what needs to be done.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
Cmon man don't you remember what Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder taught us, "🎶People are the same wherever you go🎶"

True. ;)
Common Sense Monkey GIF by Travis

Remove ads