D&D General what environments feel lacking in nice people?

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Some of them. In others, everyone is like the Addams Family and the Munsters. In others, everyone's an intelligent bear or pony. Oh - and Dinosaur World. Can't forget that one.

(Sigh. When did D&D lose the concept of Alternate Primes?)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
not american thus I have no idea what you mean?
Ah your profile did not specify. If you're from the UK, they're sort of like Man U fans. If not, well, they're rude and obnoxious and entitled fans, as a broad perhaps flawed generalization. But really it's just a joke, and a particularly bad one if it needs explaining. Which apparently it does.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Do all of the alternate PCs have goatees?
View attachment 352775
Goatees are evil so obviously
Some of them. In others, everyone is like the Addams Family and the Munsters. In others, everyone's an intelligent bear or pony. Oh - and Dinosaur World. Can't forget that one.

Pretty much it died with TSR but I do remember when the DMG stated that The Prime Material Plane contained the universe and all of its parallels including Earth, and your campaign...
Iirc Boot Hill and Gamma World were alternate primes , alongside Greyhawk, Mystara etc.

The Ethereal Plane touched all the parallel worlds

Oofta

Legend

The multiverse doesn't apply? It's not explicitly alternate primes, but that's a pretty common use for it.

Oofta

Legend
On topic, you can make almost any scenario lacking nice people. Imagine an idyllic setting with happy peasants and birds singing...and then they start talking about how it's almost festival time. Most people are oddly happy and non-specific when you hear someone seeing at people to wake up only to be dragged away. The town has a deep dark secret ritual tie to a dark power.

So it's not anything specific as far as location or group, it's what fits the story.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Might be an idea to start with standard habitat associations for humanoids then invert, so

Mountains - Dwarf, Giant, Aakrocka,
Hills - Gnomes
Forest - Elf
Valleys/Plains (Meadow) - Humans (agrarian), Half-elf
Urban - Humans (Urban), Tieflings
Desert - Human (nomad)
Swamp/Sewer - Goblin, Human
Coast - Human (Maritime), Sea Elf, Sahuagin
Badlands/Savannah - Gnoll, Orcs
Underdark -
Jungle -

Now modify as you wish

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
The multiverse doesn't apply? It's not explicitly alternate primes, but that's a pretty common use for it.
The multiverse is alternate primes. I could have sworn 3.x still had them. Cubic Gates usually/often had one as one of the 6. And I'm pretty sure Manual of the Planes mentions them when it's talking about color pools.

I guess that'd be 4e. Which makes sense since that's when they threw out the Great Wheel Cosmology.

Remove ads