D&D General what environments feel lacking in nice people?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Volcanoes in D&D are generally home to evil fire giants, red dragons, firenewts (1e FF) and such. I can't think of a general good guy monster/race associated with them.

Fire Genasi and Azer (lawful neutral) are the only ones I can think of living in volcanoes.
I live at the foor of an active Volcano so humans too :)

Voadam

Legend
Fire Genasi and Azer (lawful neutral) are the only ones I can think of living in volcanoes.
I live at the foor of an active Volcano so humans too :)
Azer are generally specifically extraplanar and not normal world.

I am not familiar with specific references to volcano regions for genasi, but I am only loosely familiar with their specific lore.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I'm a little leery of the question, because it can reflect real-world colonial attitude - people living in these impoverish lands are "lesser" somehow than other people (... thus it's "ok" to take their land). It's not a big leap to then go "the swamp is an evil space" (and thus it needs "clearing" of that evil).

It doesn't mean we can't have "evil areas" in our D&D games! Just that it's good to be conscious of this.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I'm a little leery of the question, because it can reflect real-world colonial attitude - people living in these impoverish lands are "lesser" somehow than other people (... thus it's "ok" to take their land). It's not a big leap to then go "the swamp is an evil space" (and thus it needs "clearing" of that evil).

It doesn't mean we can't have "evil areas" in our D&D games! Just that it's good to be conscious of this.
I wanted to catalogue it to reverse it, if swamps and volcanons are nothing but bad guy lands people will think like that inevitably, but if equally land of allies and likeable people then clearly it is nuanced, the same as making place we tend to find good places filled with evil

Remove ads