D&D 4E What ever happened to all the 3D 4E stuff?

I remember seeing some tools to render maps in 3D with fully 3D characters and enemies. I thought it looked really cool but all the information I can find online about it is a couple years old. Did they scrap all this stuff or is it still in the works? I think it would be a great way to play with long distance friends or just a group that uses laptops.

Any ideals on the status of these tools?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aLXuMb6WWw&feature=related"]Link to a brief video showing the 4E stuff[/ame]

Gwill_image_EDCA.bmp

ddi-screenshot-2.jpg

4e479e01-81d4-40e6-9f47-2d54f26919d3.jpg

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Scrapped a couple of years ago. There are no updates on new tools coming, though there are new web tools coming, we don't know if they are new tools or just webified versions of existing tools.

Camelot

Adventurer
It's too bad that they scrapped it. An online tool specifically for D&D would be great for pulling the online gaming community together, especially because you won't need to pay for any more than a DDI subscription already is. It would also be a lot easier on DMs! Something like that could be what would push people like me to subscribe to DDI.

MrGrenadine

Explorer
Yeah, I remember being really pumped about the table back then. The tests were really exciting. Too bad it all added up to nada.

The table, like a lot projects, is one of those things that really needs a champion at the company if its ever going to be done. That code is sitting on a drive somewhere at WotC right now, waiting for its champion, or champions, to resurrect it.

Best of luck to whoever that is.

RSKennan

Explorer
If I remember correctly, there's a bit of a sad (real world) story about its cancellation.

I don't want to state details on something like that without solid facts, but maybe someone else will be along.

Merkuri

Explorer
They don't tend to look as nifty as the D&D game table, but there are other virtual tabletop (VTT) programs out there. Our group uses MapTool every week to play with people all over the globe.

Shemeska

Adventurer
If I remember correctly, there's a bit of a sad (real world) story about its cancellation.

I don't want to state details on something like that without solid facts, but maybe someone else will be along.

Not sure if that particular incident was to blame more than other things (spending millions on outsourcing and having no finished products from that), but it couldn't have helped.

shdwrnr

First Post
There was also the case brought against them for stealing the dice images and/or physics from the Fantasy Grounds virtual table top. A comparison of image stills from the program Wizards was showing on their website to images of Fantasy Grounds' dice system was identical. Probably still some posts about it on the Fantasy Grounds forums.

Remove ads