What fantasy stories are should be done next on the big screen?

Dark Jezter

First Post
JEL said:
We have Christopher to thank for the fact that we can read the Silmarillion and his father's other notes at all, so I have no hate for the man. I can hardly blame him either for not liscensing it either. Would you trust Hollywood with your father's greatest work?
If Christopher Tolkien would have had his way, we would have never seen Peter Jackson's LotR movies. In fact, I recall hearing that Christopher Tolkien disowned one of his own children (or it might have been one of his grandchildren) for publically praising the films. Everything I've heard about him makes him sound like a bitter, spiteful old man who dosen't think that Middle Earth should exist in any format other than books and audiobooks.

Last edited:

Undead Pete

First Post
Amber
Pern
Conan
Solomon Kane
Bran Mak Morn
Dark Tower
Eragon
Good Omens
Jack Chalker's Well World books would make a great series for the SciFi channel
Cthulhu Mythos - There needs to be a big budget version of Lovecraft's vision
The Necroscope Series by Brian Lumley
Floating Dragon by Peter Straub
All of China Mieville's books, especially Perdido Street Station
Jumper by Steven Gould
S.M. Stirling's Nantucket Trilogy
Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson

I'm sure there's many more that don't immediately occur to me right now.

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
JEL said:
We have Christopher to thank for the fact that we can read the Silmarillion and his father's other notes at all, so I have no hate for the man. I can hardly blame him either for not liscensing it either. Would you trust Hollywood with your father's greatest work?
Hey, I can respect Chris's contribution to completing most of his father's works, including the Silmarilion. Just like I can respect Brannon Braga as a writer. But his other position as a trustee of the estate, I don't agree with his policies. Just like I don't think Brannon Braga is competently qualified to be an executive producer.

As for Hollywood, it's just like d20, for every 10 crappy films out in the market, there will be one film that is decent and enjoyable enough to watch. Besides IIRC, New Line Cinema is based in or near Hollywood, if not within the US mainland.

Get used to it, we're stuck with it.

Remove ads