What game Could "Be" D&D, Culturally?

Reynard

Legend
I know that no such thing is going to happen. I am just curious what folks think.

What game do you think could conceivably be the pop cultural touchstone that D&D is? Note that I am not asking what game could topple D&D from it's current position. I am just asking what game, if D&D wasn't already in that position, could "BE" rpgs to the wider population, could power a fanbase like Critical Roles, and/or could really get midwestern parents up in arms?

My gut reaction is Star Wars. I don't even think it would matter what the system is. If it weren't D&D, I think it would be something licensed with a huge fanbase already present. i could see celebrities playing Star Wars campaigns at "Star Wars RPG Live" events and making guest appearances on Lightsaber Role or whatever.

What do you think?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I'll go back to just before D&D and say some form of war gaming. Has a historical connection, is still pretty nerdy, and the options for setting are wide open.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I know that no such thing is going to happen. I am just curious what folks think.

What game do you think could conceivably be the pop cultural touchstone that D&D is? Note that I am not asking what game could topple D&D from it's current position. I am just asking what game, if D&D wasn't already in that position, could "BE" rpgs to the wider population, could power a fanbase like Critical Roles, and/or could really get midwestern parents up in arms?

My gut reaction is Star Wars. I don't even think it would matter what the system is. If it weren't D&D, I think it would be something licensed with a huge fanbase already present. i could see celebrities playing Star Wars campaigns at "Star Wars RPG Live" events and making guest appearances on Lightsaber Role or whatever.

What do you think?
When West End Games had the Star Wars license, it basically was the "other" entry point RPG for people. I don't know if it was ever actually bigger than D&D, but it was huge at the time.

It's tough to answer a question like this though because D&D is the 800lb gorilla in the room. To come up with another RPG taking its place means thinking about the circumstances that have led to D&D being the 800lb gorilla, where in history it could have stumbled off that path, and who could have been there to pick up the pieces.

And that's really tough because when you look at the history of D&D there are all kinds of places where TSR "stumbled" early on and throughout its stewardship of the game, so you'd think someone else could have taken over from them. And yet here we are - nearly 50 years later and it's still the king of the hill.

There are a few times when properties might come close. 35 years ago I might have said "Star Wars". 30 years ago I might have said "Vampire the Masquerade". But in both cases I'd have been wrong. Even during the TSR bankruptcy the game didn't lose its place.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Another vote for Traveller.

• Rich lore; infinite variety of worlds; possibility for a range of characters that can work together in a team setting.
  • It's early enough that it feels mostly independent of OD&D; too many others are so consciously responding to the D&D of their time, that without the point of reference, they would not find the same purchase.

Remove ads