• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What game should my thugs be playing?

Calithorne

Explorer
I just got a dartboard in RL. It's not an easy game to play if you've never played it before. However, my understanding is that every pub in Great Britain has a dartboard, at least that's what it appears to be the case from TV shows and movies. It's a good game to test a player character's weapon skills against thugs, without having actual combat break out. Of course, the thugs could get angry if they lose the game, and then there could be combat!

MarkB

Legend
I just got a dartboard in RL. It's not an easy game to play if you've never played it before. However, my understanding is that every pub in Great Britain has a dartboard, at least that's what it appears to be the case from TV shows and movies. It's a good game to test a player character's weapon skills against thugs, without having actual combat break out. Of course, the thugs could get angry if they lose the game, and then there could be combat!

Generally speaking, the fight breaks out when a dart goes into someone's drink, or the back of their head.

Werebat

Explorer
There are a few games played by rough types in the tavern in the Pillars of Eternity DLC. One of them is called "Orlan's Head".

It's basically a knife throwing game where the players try to score the most points, with different point values placed on different parts of the face of an orlan (a PoE race that is sort of a cross between halfling and shifter). Nose is worth the most points, then eye, ear, etc.

You could easily adapt this to "Goblin's Head", or the head of whatever race is particularly hated in those parts. Also makes for some fun awkwardness if anyone in the party is a member of said race.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads