What games are you playing during the holidays

hawkeyefan

Legend
My wife and I played the first two missions of The Adventures of Robin Hood board game last night, which I got for Christmas. It was a very interesting game. Some cool innovations with the board and how the characters move about it.

I recommend it to anyone here who likes board games. It's a fun cooperative game. Good for a family of four, if your kids are patient enough to play.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Since I was on Call to the Hospital on Christmas, my daughter and I sat and played board and card games: Phase 10, Scrabble, Forbidden Island, Frog Juice, Moose in the House, Castle Panic and Yahtzee. All are short and easy to play and was some of the most fun I've had in a while.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
My wife and I played the first two missions of The Adventures of Robin Hood board game last night, which I got for Christmas. It was a very interesting game. Some cool innovations with the board and how the characters move about it.

I recommend it to anyone here who likes board games. It's a fun cooperative game. Good for a family of four, if your kids are patient enough to play.
Never heard of it. Sounds fun thanks for mentioning it.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Never heard of it. Sounds fun thanks for mentioning it.

Sure thing. It’s pretty cool. You actually dive right in after reading a handout. You learn as you play. It’s an interesting game, with advent-calendar type tiles that you reveal as you play, and which then introduce new things to the unfolding story. The way you move about the board is interesting as it lacks traditional spaces. I won’t go into any more for fear of spoilers.

The production values are top notch. The board itself is beautiful and the gamebook is leather-bound and includes two ribbons for marking pages.

I kind of added it to my holiday wish list as a spur of the moment decision, and I’m very glad I did.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
For anyone that is interested, aside from Magic the Gathering where I continue to get my ass handed to me by the kids, here are my thoughts on some of the other new games we played:

Attack on Titan - The Last Stand (board game): https://www.amazon.com/Cryptozoic-E...efix=attack+on+titan+board+gam,aps,135&sr=8-1

This was a lot more fun to play than I thought it was going to be. Rules could be better written, but they are fairly straight forward and you know how to play the game after one round. It is a press-your-luck style game. The players playing the rangers roll a number of special 6-sided dice to build pools of actions that you can use to build tactics to defeat the titan with. You can roll as many times as you want but every six-sided dice has a titan side. Any die that comes up with the titan side goes to the Titan to be used to activate the titan's powers.

Two to five players can play. We played with three people. One person playing the Titan and two playing the rangers. I believe it would be even more satisfying with at least 4 players. It is well balanced even with two on one, but it would be more tactically interesting with at least three rangers versus the titan. They bascially balance the game game at smaller numbers of players by reducing the requirements for a win condition.

Clue: Dungeons and Dragons. Plays just like clue but flavored with D&D characters and locations. If you like clue it is fun. Some of the clue cards run a bit differently in this version, but if you aready have clue, I would only recommend this as a collectible. The D&D falvor seems a bit shoehorned in to me. I feel that the classic clue is more flavorful and iconic. Betrayal at Baldurs Gate, which is a D&D reflavoring of Betrayal at House on the Hill, and I feel both are worth owning. I don't really feel this way about D&D Clue.

D&D Trivia Pursuit. So, I really liked this game but only recommend for a certain type of player. Someone who has a long history with D&D both the old and new editions as well as the main novel series. Some of the questions are very obscure, such as names of certain items from old 1e adventure modules, etc. I recommend getting a good sized group of D&D fans and dividing into to groups.

I think that it is great that they put out D&D Trivia Pursuit given that I think it will be very small audience who can enjoy playing it.

Remove ads