What GOOD things are industry icons doing?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Seems like over the past year, many icons in the industry are doing really awful things (Ernie Jr, TSR3, Adam Koebel) or being caught in scandal (Luke Gygax, Luke Crane--what's up people named Luke?, Larry Elmore, Jeff Ward).

Naturally based on human nature we tend to focus on those. But what are some of the good things industry icons are doing? I want to focus more on that. Like Peter Atkinson making GenCon more welcoming.

There's people I'd like to list, but I almost feel like I'd be jinxing them at this point. How many times recently has there been a celebrity who was known as a "good guy" in the news for being a ... not-so-good guy.

Just leave me Tom Hanks. Please!

Sacrosanct

Legend
There's people I'd like to list, but I almost feel like I'd be jinxing them at this point. How many times recently has there been a celebrity who was known as a "good guy" in the news for being a ... not-so-good guy.

Tom Hanks has been in reverse it seems. With Bosom Buddies (with arguably anti-trans themes) and Mazes and Monsters, his career has continuing been improving on the scale of "good guy" from where it started with problematic roles (which I do not blame him for at all; struggling young actors gonna take roles, especially in the 70s and 80s when those things were largely viewed as acceptable for the time)

Retreater

Legend

The problem is that most of us are human, and we have failings. No one can maintain the curated image forever and at all times.
"'So-and-so' is a funny guy." But then you find out he suffers from depression.
"'So-and-so' maintains a wholesome image in a TV show." But then you find out that she has a sexual identity apart from the TV show.
We're all jerks sometimes. We all fail to live up to the standards we'd like to display all the time.
If we actually had realistic standards for celebrities, I think we wouldn't be disappointed in them as often.

You either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
"'So-and-so' is a funny guy." But then you find out he suffers from depression.
"'So-and-so' maintains a wholesome image in a TV show." But then you find out that she has a sexual identity apart from the TV show.
We're all jerks sometimes.

So, your examples are... not good. I mean, having depression or an unexpected sexual/gender identity does not make you a jerk.

Retreater

Legend
So, your examples are... not good. I mean, having depression or an unexpected sexual/gender identity does not make you a jerk.
You clipped the second sentence, which is what applied to my examples.
So yes, we're all jerks sometimes. That's blanketed to everyone.
The examples I gave illustrate the "fail to live up to the standards" of a curated image.

Remove ads