D&D General What happened to Sasquatch Game Studios?

jgsugden

Legend
I can't speak for other people, but life changing money for me (if I do the numbers) is around $2,000,000 and that is a lot more than 5x my salary!
YOur life would not change if you had 5 times your annual salary dropped into your lap out of nowhere?
That money has to be spent on fufiling the KS though. A $250K Kickstarter isn't $250K in the creator's pocket to buy a car or a house, it's $50K of books they have to provide (and there are stories of KS with big 'funding' figures which ended up in the red, making nothing at all).
It's important to remember that the KS funding total is just gross revenue. Actual profit can be a very tiny fraction of that.
Well, we are speaking in the context of fraud, in which the person running the kickstarter has no intention of actually completing the project.
And, beyond fraud, in total mismanagement scenarios you can see people do some prework before the KS, then get the money, then mismanage it while struggling to respond to feedback gathered in the KS (especially where they got carried away and overpromised during the KS on requests), they can end up spending the money unwisely - including for things like buying tools to do things for the KS that are also highly fun for the KS organizer - computers, 3D printers, workshops, etc...

I believe most utter failures in the KS world are born of incompetence more than fraud - but they tend to look a lot like fraud from the perspective of the backer who gets nothing in the end.

dave2008

Legend
YOur life would not change if you had 5 times your annual salary dropped into your lap out of nowhere?
Not really. I mean I would like to have that money, and it would be useful. But my day to day life would not change. I would still need to work at my job, I would still have the vacation days I have, the commute that I have, and I would still eat the same food. It would basically pad my retirement. Which is great, but not life changing.

Everyone's circumstances are different of course.

EDIT: To me, life changing money is enough money that I could retire.

Not really. I mean I would like to have that money, and it would be useful. But my day to day life would not change. I would still need to work at my job, I would still have the vacation days I have, the commute that I have, and I would still eat the same food. It would basically pad my retirement. Which is great, but not life changing.

Everyone's circumstances are different of course.

EDIT: To me, life changing money is enough money that I could retire.
Fair assessment. For me life changing money is enough to pay off my current bills. Anything beyond is gravy and maybe biscuits

jgsugden

Legend
...EDIT: To me, life changing money is enough money that I could retire.
That is a higher hurdle than I was discussing. If your quality of life is significantly changed by the amount, I'd call that life changing money. 5 Times my wage wouldnot allow me to retire, yet, but it would allow me to take better vacations, buy a better car, put my kids in private school, move to a nicer home, buy a lot more kickstarters, etc...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
5 Times my wage wouldnot allow me to retire, yet, but it would allow me to take better vacations, buy a better car, put my kids in private school, move to a nicer home, buy a lot more kickstarters, etc...

...pay off student loans so that money isn't coming out of your paycheck for the rest of your life...

dave2008

Legend
That is a higher hurdle than I was discussing. If your quality of life is significantly changed by the amount, I'd call that life changing money. 5 Times my wage wouldnot allow me to retire, yet, but it would allow me to take better vacations, buy a better car, put my kids in private school, move to a nicer home, buy a lot more kickstarters, etc...
The thing is: we have brand new cars, my children are in college (and it is paid for), I built my home with my own hands (and it is worth much more than 5x my salary), I go on the vacations I want, and I buy the kickstarters I want. I don't really have any wants or needs that money can buy. So 5x my salary doesn't significantly impact my life. It would really change very little.

It is situational. I am sure there are times in my life when 5x my salary (at the time) would have had a more significant impact on my life. However, I struggle to believe it would have been what I consider life changing (of course as we know that is subjective).

Remove ads