What happened to the story?

Crothian

First Post
We get threads on power creep, new rules for 4th edition, arguments on if a Hulking Hurler can do a gazillion damage and if by cxhance that might be broke. But we don't get a lot of threads on the story. And we don't get books on the story either. Most books have the latest character options in them, and it seems the writers ideas are incorperated into the latest feat or organized prestige class.

So, what elements of plot do you enjoy? What RPG sources do you find have the best ideas in them for using in your game? And am I wrong that there is not enough story talk or is it just too difficult to include on boards?

Turanil

First Post
You are right. Getting something for the story would be cool. As far as I am concerned: all the details and suggestions that help bring an ambiance to the game, not be just a movement of figurines on the board and dice manipulation. Well, maybe we can hope we will get some of that in the new DMG II?

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Well, I can do story myself. I don't need anyone to do it for me. I think I'm not the only one, either.

That said, I'd certainly welcome good books and, even more, board threads about it.

BTW, races of destiny (and, from what I've heard, races of the wild even more so) gives a lot more flavor text for its prestige classes than previous WotC books.

Crothian

First Post
Darkness said:
Well, I can do story myself. I don't need anyone to do it for me. I think I'm not the only one, either.

Ya, but I'm pretty sure you can improve upon it. And I'm sure that while your good there are just ideas you might not think of or not think of in a certain way. With one of the goals of d20 is to somehow bring in new blood I'd think somewhere along they line they might need help in genreating ideas of their own. Sure we have setting,and we have the descriptive texts of feats, prestige classes, but is that really enough? It seems like to get the story elements they have to be attached to the rules.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Crothian said:
Ya, but I'm pretty sure you can improve upon it.
Definitely. That's why I said I'd welcome good books.
Still, at this point, I probably improve more with practice than book learning. I've already read quite a lot of non-RPG-specific literature on the topic over the years, as well as tons of RPG advice.
Crothian said:
And I'm sure that while your good there are just ideas you might not think of or not think of in a certain way.
Certainly. Whether a certain way I didn't think of would be helpful to me is an entirely different question, of course.

In summary, I'm quite willing to check out a good book about this but I won't go out of my way to look for one.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Once upon a time Enworld had the Plots and Places board a great place to discuss ideas about scenario, settings and incidental encounters and locales

but ALAS the powers that be in their infinite wisdom deigned to remove that board and so story is lost in the morass of general discussion

BRING BACK PLOTS & PLACES

Fingol

First Post
aren't the stories in the modules that are for sale? For those that can't; time wise, or other... Granted lots of the are not that good, but then a lot of 'rule' books are pretty bad too.

reason

First Post

Personally, I think what's needed is no so much your fully formed plots (since we all know we're going to chew them up and reconstitute them anyway), but fragments that make your brain go "tick!" Things that you would have never thought of yourself, but as soon as you see it, it makes a brilliant plot perfectly suited for your campaign spring into your head fully formed.

That, I'd pay money for. Less crunch, more things that make my brain go "tick!"

Reason
Principia Infecta

S'mon

Legend
I think the story was ceremonially sacrificed on the first printed 3.0 PHB back in 2000... I get the impression the 3e designers saw 'story' as what ruined 2e, and have tried hard to eliminate it from 3e entirely.

reanjr

First Post
Darkness said:

That said, I'd certainly welcome good books and, even more, board threads about it.

BTW, races of destiny (and, from what I've heard, races of the wild even more so) gives a lot more flavor text for its prestige classes than previous WotC books.

I can make rules myself, but I still buy rule books and discuss the rules of the game. Yes, there is a lot more flavor text, and this is a very good thing.

Remove ads