What happens when you cast a spell?

sniffles

First Post
Hairfoot said:
An excellent question, OP. Magic has become very utilitarian these days, and for DMs, especially, it's important to postulate on in-game special-effects.

Ranger REG and Masquerade already described a couple I use, and several I will use.

Whatever spell it is, mine usually involve floating, glowing runes and arcane sound effects (including TV ad jingles).
Examples, please!

This I gotta see. :D

prospero63

First Post
The writing on the scroll crackles with magical energies, burning off the page, leaving nothing but scorched writing remnants. When the final spell on a scroll is cast, the page itself bursts instantly to dust...

Sanguinemetaldawn

First Post
sniffles said:
Specifically, what happens when you cast a spell from a scroll?

I'm not talking mechanics here. What do you envision happens? Scrolls are single-use items, so how do you handle why you can't read the words off of that scroll more than once?
...<snip>...
I'm hoping for some colorful descriptions here. Show me your imagination! :)

I remember reading a description from somewhere, probably Dragonlance, of the characters on the scroll flaring into brightness as they are read, then disappearing. I guess that means once you start reading a spell, you finish it or it is wasted.

Claudius Gaius

First Post
Since the scroll-user has to be directing the power of the spell on the scroll (since they get to pick the target, etc), I use the scroll-makers personal magical signature for the scroll, coupled with the users personal signature as he, she, or it, directs the spell.

evilgamer13

First Post
I was visualising that the writing would transform into a moving calligraphy of fire as the words were read, and then as the spell was completed the calligraphic fire become a two dimensional fire of an unnatural color for a moment as the spell actually casts leaving behind scorch marks on the paper.

Set

First Post
Boring old 'letters turn to fire as you read them and vanish from the page.' But the fire doesn't burn the parchment, since you can have multiple spells on a single scroll (or all bound into a book). The ink is burning away, but the page is unburnt, and reusable as a sheet of paper/parchment.

Voadam

Legend
sniffles said:
I was really only thinking of scrolls as having a single spell on them. In my experience that's how they're used. I can't recall when I've ever been given or purchased a scroll containing more than one spell.

It was common in older editions to find scrolls with multiple random spells on them.

Remove ads