What happens when you shapechange into someone elses space?

Dwarmaj

First Post
Say a Druid is 5' from an opponant and wildshapes into a Dire Bear and expands into the opponants space.

1) Would you treat it as a Bull Rushed or Trample?
2) Would the opponant get an AoO?
3) How much damage if any would they take?
4) What if the druid was flying overhead as an owl, shape changed and dropped on them as a Dire Bear?

Dwarmaj

Artoomis

First Post
Dwarmaj said:
Say a Druid is 5' from an opponant and wildshapes into a Dire Bear and expands into the opponants space.

1) Would you treat it as a Bull Rushed or Trample?
2) Would the opponant get an AoO?
3) How much damage if any would they take?
4) What if the druid was flying overhead as an owl, shape changed and dropped on them as a Dire Bear?

Dwarmaj

For #1-3 I would simply disallow it. You can't occupy that square - you tried to do something you can't do - I would view it the same as if you tried to that while is a 5'x5' room. The magic of the wildshape simply doesn't work.

For #4, check the DMG (I think) for rules on falling objects and apply those rules. Sorry I don't have the reference, maybe someone else will help with that, but I am certain that rules already exist for falling objects.

Artoomis

First Post
Oh, - another possibility is that you end up with a smaller Dire Bear because it simply can't get that big.

You'd have to scale down the Dire Bear for this.

The_lone_gunman

First Post
>Say a Druid is 5' from an opponant and wildshapes into a Dire >Bear and expands into the opponants space.

>1) Would you treat it as a Bull Rushed or Trample?

I would treat it as a bullrush manuver, with opposed strength checks and such to see if they could push the character in that space out of the way.

>2) Would the opponant get an AoO?

The person whose spaces is getting occupied would get an AOO on the Dire bear.

>3) How much damage if any would they take?

No damage, just get moved out of the way if they fail to beat the new owlbear bullrush.

>4) What if the druid was flying overhead as an owl, shape >changed and dropped on them as a Dire Bear?

I would give the person below a reflex check, DC 15 to get out of the way. If failed, then they would be landed on, I would probably treat it similar to a pounce attack. I think dragons get some kind of similar attack so you could use those rules as a base.

These things arn't really covered by rules per say, but that would be how I would handle it in my campaign.

TLG

Faragdar

First Post
Artoomis said:
For #1-3 I would simply disallow it. You can't occupy that square - you tried to do something you can't do - I would view it the same as if you tried to that while is a 5'x5' room. The magic of the wildshape simply doesn't work.
Hmm. I don't think it's the same thing, at all. I would say there are two options. Treating it like a bull rush seems perfectly reasonable, or just say that upon shapeshifting, the druid/dire bear is reared on his hind legs and still occupies only one 5'x5' square until he moves.

For #4, check the DMG (I think) for rules on falling objects and apply those rules. Sorry I don't have the reference, maybe someone else will help with that, but I am certain that rules already exist for falling objects. [/B][/QUOTE]
The rules are on page 89. But shapeshifting is a standard action. It doesn't happen instantaneously. They probably wouldn't be full sized by the time they hit the ground, since they should lose the ability to fly immediately upon starting the transformation. As a DM, I would consider this a rather dubious tactic with little chance of a positive outcome for the druid.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
While we are more or less on the topic:

Could a druid that has been grappled shift into a Large animal (say, a bear)? Or into a tiny animal and slip out of the grappled?

Could he do it? If he can would it break the grapple immediately?

Xarlen

First Post
Mal Malenkirk said:
While we are more or less on the topic:

Could a druid that has been grappled shift into a Large animal (say, a bear)? Or into a tiny animal and slip out of the grappled?

Could he do it? If he can would it break the grapple immediately?

My PCs were in a situation sort've like this. The cleric was being held by a Chuul's pincers. I had thought that he could use his Ring of Animal Form (Fox), to change into a tiny fox and slip out. However, after looking at the rules, I realized that he would just be simply easier to grapple, as aposed to being able to wriggle free.

Remove ads