• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What has the greatest chance of destroying the Forgotten Realms?

Napftor

Explorer
Many of the suggestions given above are valid. I especially like the phaerimm idea and concur that godly involvement is necessary (since there are so many and they are quite involved in Faerunian events). Here's my not too thought-out take on your question (take it for what it's worth)...

The "greater evil" could be a displaced entity (divine?) from another world that is out for new territory. The Almighty Evil IT ravaged its native world, totally killing/enslaving the populace and having millennia to hone its craft of destruction. While scrying for other places to conqueor, what should IT come upon but the dear sweet and innocent Forgotten Realms. IT decides to invade and brings along IT's army of magic-immune constructs to aid in the assimilation of Faerun.

IT has a device (?) that yanks the FR gods from their homes and hurtles them into the Realms in avatar form much like Ao did during the Time of Troubles (except Ao is nowhere to be found/heard). <Consider this a good excuse to use F&P's avatar stats! :)> IT gives the gods time to pathetically scurry for corners to hide in amongst their most devout worshippers before sending out the constructs to reconointer. During this time, the evil gods cannot help but attack one another while within vulnerable avatars (again, much like the ToT). When the great heroes of the Realms (Elminster, et al) come rushing to aid the good, they naturally defeat the avatars just in time. But IT knows the history, has had thousands of years to prepare and when IT threw the gods to the ground, IT added another little surprise...when avatars are killed, they EXPLODE. And these aren't little explosions like before, oh no. We're talking nuclear detonations!! The kind that carry tainted magical remains across whole countries and mutate all it touches.

Once many of the popular heroes are killed, IT sends in the constructs to find the remaining avatars, thus squashing all hope of divine intervention. These constructs have numerous defenses and magical immunity as well as a ray to further weaken an avatar's powers. This is where such a post-apocalyptic campaign might begin. IT's constructs are everywhere (and they are of varying shapes and sizes) and the PC's may get to encounter a puny avatar that asks THEM for help! While a construct's primary directive is to destroy avatars, it also is directed to stamp out any and all power groups it comes across (good and evil).

Etc., etc. There's my half-baked idea. :cool:

I have avoided 3E Forgotten Realms but an idea from the bygone days occurs to me. I don’t know if it would still be relevant. Have the Cult of the Dragon spur another “flight of the Dragons” bit this time they manage to spur all the dragons, good and bad, of Faerun, into a destructive frenzy. By the time the gods realize that there is truly an apocalyptic problem, many of their followers have been slain and they are now much weaker than before. The greatest dragons and crippled gods clash creating even more destruction resulting in the end of all of their existences. Spellcasters, in an attempt to halt the dragon hordes, summon various outsiders, but lose control of the planer creatures. Sadness and chaos swallows the Realms. :)

da chicken

First Post
I'd rather go for something really, really bad that you can't really do anything about.

Like a mysterious mist flowing across the land causing Faerun and Ravenloft to intersect. It's not like Elminster is going to be able to handle living on a sentient prison plane, let alone constantly making Fear, Horror, and Sanity checks. We'd be talking mass corruption of every city in Faerun. To say nothing of what would happen in Myth Drannor. Phaerim liches and vampires anyone? High fantasy mixes a little odd with horror, but it should be cool. Horror is all about the murder of innocence, and high fantasy, high adventure campaigns like FR would be such a tasty morsel of innocence.

I can't think of a better fate for Faerun. :D

Or you could use Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil and get cults of madness, elements, evil, and annihilation. Not much Elminster can do against a cult that can summon spheres of annihilation at will. Monte Cook wrote one lethal campaign there. Still, you'd have to add about 10 to the divine rank of all the Greyhawk deities involved. Just compare F&P Lolth to D&D Lolth.

Last edited:

fba827

Adventurer
Okay, now for my serious answer...

How about several of these groups getting together? After all, what would any of them really do with absolute control?
Or, even if they already know the answer to that, perhaps they make arrangements with other groups (expecting to double cross them later, of course)

So, my answer to your question is simply this, why not arrange for a couple of these groups to get together, each planning/expecting to control different areas of power (again, and each expecting to double cross the others one power has been firmly held).

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Maybe this time it'll work. :)

All these sound pretty sweet.....I'd probably like something big and dangerous, truly. ;)

I want the campaign to be one focused on innocence lost, goodness foiled, and security shattered. I want them to *suffer* more than they have ever had to. I don't want the campaign to focus on getting the heroes back or taking their place (not invalid, just a bit too hopeful, IMHO)....I want the heroes to be obviously, hideously dead, and the people left to not believe anything could conqueor or overcome whatever force this is (natural or artificial)...people have tried before the PC's, and have failed miserably. It'll hopefully make their minor heroics all the more worthwhile. :)

But how would the evil forces already in the realms react to this evil coming in and ruling everything -- especially if it was some intelligent outside force? How would the evil forces react to something doing what they couldn't do, and doing it so easily? Would they fight against it? Would they be possible allies for the PC's, against this evil? Would they be so devestated by a natural force that they see the benefit in kindness and compassion? Perhaps some have turns of color after the land they've lived in is raized?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads