• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E What has you excited about 4e?

Doug McCrae

Legend
Everything. New stuff. New rules. New classes and monsters, or new versions of old ones. New spell system.

And new art.

Last edited:

3d6

Explorer
I like D&D, Saga Edition, and Book of Nine Swords, so it stands to reason I will like 4e.

I like the idea of every class having a mix of per day, per encounter, and at will abilities. It sounds like it keeps in resource management and attrition without over-encouraging a short adventuring day.

Henry

Autoexreginated
If anything, it would be monster stat block simplification, and XP reward simplification. Being able to do more "on the fly" with a by-the-book logistic to act as a guide instead of winging it myself is a big plus in my book.

pemerton

Legend
Seeing how a fantasy RPG with traditionally quite simulationist action-resoultion mechanics handles the mix of at-will, per-encounter and per-day abilities for all classes.

Also seeing how the game handles divergent build rules for PCs and NPCs, given that same traditionally simulationist outlook.

TwinBahamut

First Post
No more Vancian magic.

Cooler options for fighters, especially a greater focus on gaining abilities unique to specific weapons.

The changes to monster design and encounter design.

Social encounters.

The fact that they ditched the Great Wheel.

The Elemental Tempest, and elemental Demons and Archons.

The fact that staves mean something for wizards now.

Remove ads