D&D 5E What House / 3rd Party / Optional Rule changed your game the most?

Can you elaborate on this? What are some of the changes?
Some highlights off the top of my head:
1. You roll for HP and don’t add CON modifier. Even at first level.
2. 3D6 stat creation starting with STR and going down the line (I tweaked it and said one stat can be 4D6 drop lowest in my last campaign).
3. Spellcasters have access to more spells, but once a spell is cast, it can’t be cast again until long rest.
3(a). Spells can’t be up-casted
3(b). All levelled spells require a DC 10 roll in order to actually cast. A natty 1 can possibly tear time and space. A natty 20 doubles the effects.
4. If damage taken would bring a characters HP to -10 or lower, that character is dead. So if a character is hanging around 1 HP they are potentially one good hit away from the afterlife.
5. Monster HP is CRx10

Vaalingrade

Legend
Some highlights off the top of my head:
1. You roll for HP and don’t add CON modifier. Even at first level.
2. 3D6 stat creation starting with STR and going down the line (I tweaked it and said one stat can be 4D6 drop lowest in my last campaign).
3. Spellcasters have access to more spells, but once a spell is cast, it can’t be cast again until long rest.
3(a). Spells can’t be up-casted
3(b). All levelled spells require a DC 10 roll in order to actually cast. A natty 1 can possibly tear time and space. A natty 20 doubles the effects.
4. If damage taken would bring a characters HP to -10 or lower, that character is dead. So if a character is hanging around 1 HP they are potentially one good hit away from the afterlife.
5. Monster HP is CRx10
I was going to comment on how I don't like the hyper lethality until I saw that the monsters were made of sawdut filled balloons.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Attached is what we use. It's been subjected to years of game sessions, so it's become habit for my gamers, who don't need a reference sheet anymore. I attached the "handout" as I have a custom DM screen where I can put inserts for players to see in the front 4 slots. The primary purpose was to make combat more unpredictable, and therefore exciting, because turn order is not guaranteed. Secondary purpose was to speed up combats (accomplished because all 5 players, and the DM, are deciding what to do at the same time rather than one at a time, AND they know their character abilities...we've had rounds where the declaration phase took roughly a "real" round of 6 seconds). Tertiary purpose was to empower players so their choices impact initiative.

We combine this with the 3rd edition Attack of Opportunity rule that if you don't have "reach" (a polearm master weapon or 10'+) and enter the threat zone of someone who does, they can use their reaction to take an AoO. This makes it trickier to close ranks with a dagger if someone has a spear.
So a monk with Flurry of Blows and multiple weapon strikes would be rolling possibly 4-5 initiative rolls? Also, do the DM creatures also declare their actions in advance and roll on a similar initiative scale? When do bonus actions happen? When do move actions happen?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
1. Cinematic Initiative
2. Critical Damage instead of critical hits.
3. Conditions at 0 hit points for failed death saves.
4. ADDED: Maximum upcasting.

Last edited:

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
So a monk with Flurry of Blows and multiple weapon strikes would be rolling possibly 4-5 initiative rolls?
Only 1 initiative roll, whatever is the worst (slowest) die. You never reroll initiative in a single round, though you can be bumped to last.

For the monk, unarmed strikes are d4. If a monk wanted to reserve the option to use a staff (d8) with their attacks, they'd declare they're "using a staff and/or fists" and roll a d8 because a d8 is the worst die. They don't have to use the staff on their turn if they don't want to, but they've effectively prepared for it and reserved that option.

However, to avoid initiative abuse, if the player declared they were only using fists (d4) and on their turn wanted to "substitute" the staff they were holding, they'd be bumped to last (counted as switching declared weapons).
Also, do the DM creatures also declare their actions in advance and roll on a similar initiative scale?
Yes, monsters declare as well.

After gameplay, it was too time consuming for the DM alone to individually roll and track diverse groups of monsters (e.g. 2 hobgoblins with bows, 2 with axes, 1 shaman casting a spell, 1 activating a trap). Hence, easiest solution was that monsters go on their HD (sized based) and d4 (unarmed strikes like claws). However, if the DM is quick enough or has a helper, there's nothing to keep them from applying the same scale as PCs.
When do bonus actions happen? When do move actions happen?
Bonus actions aren't declared and happen like normal. Moves aren't declared and happen like normal.

We tried several variations on declaring bonus actions and things like adding a d6 (or a flat variable like +2) to keep the option to move. Didn't run smoothly.

Larnievc

Hero
While not ground-breaking, our new initiative rules made things run significantly smoother;

Baddies act on initiative 12. Bosses on 15. Players either roll normally, with advantage or disadvantage depending on situations.
I really like this. I shall yoink it from you. And maybe modify it by monster Dex.

Remove ads