D&D 5E What I want from a more monetized D&D

dave2008

Legend
With all the worry about WotC saying D&D is "under-monetized," I thought it might be a good idea to look at this from a positive angle. So, what would you want from a more monetized D&D?

I am sure I could come up with a lot of things (and I hope other posters will), but I thought I would start with what I would like from a more monetized D&D Beyond:
  1. A subscription tier that includes digital Dragon and Dungeon magazines. With 4e we had pretty good digital versions of the magazines. I would happily buy a subscription that includes these.
  2. A subscription tier that includes a 2D VTT.
    1. Base subscription get access to everything in the PHB, MM, & DMG
    2. Separate transaction to add content from other products.
  3. A subscription tier that includes a 3D VTT
    1. Base subscription get access to everything in the PHB, MM, & DMG
    2. Separate transaction to add content from other products.
  4. More digital / physical bundles
  5. A subscription tier or transaction that allows adding DMsGuild content

VTT also means being able to sell virtual minis, landscapes, premade dungeons, etc.

There's a gold mine in VTT when it comes to potential microtransactions, which people probably won't mind as long as they can also build or import their own stuff to a degree. They can even build a player-driven market like in DMsGuild, taking a cut while giving writers and artists a chance to shine in selling VTT sets for the community.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
A subscription tier that includes digital Dragon and Dungeon magazines. With 4e we had pretty good digital versions of the magazines. I would happily buy a subscription that includes these.
More digital / physical bundle
A subscription tier or transaction that allows adding DMsGuild content
These thigns would possibly be attractive
VTT also means being able to sell virtual minis, landscapes, premade dungeons, etc.

There's a gold mine in VTT when it comes to potential microtransactions, which people probably won't mind as long as they can also build or import their own stuff to a degree. They can even build a player-driven market like in DMsGuild, taking a cut while giving writers and artists a chance to shine in selling VTT sets for the community.
You know what, if I were involved I a long-term, long distance campaign with friends, and they were using the WotC VTT (guuuhhh), even I would probably be tempted to get a customized exact minifig/character portrait of my PC for a few bucks.

But as for myself, D&D isn't undermonetized as a game...but it is under-merchandised! This just dripped, I'm getting it from my GLGS today and I'm pretty excited, WotC needs more stuff like this:

Jer

Legend
Supporter
With all the worry about WotC saying D&D is "under-monetized," I thought it might be a good idea to look at this from a positive angle. So, what would you want from a more monetized D&D?
I want to try to answer this while keeping in mind their specific definition of "under-monetized". That term was used in terms of who is buying products and the observation was that most of their sales were to DMs and non-DM players didn't buy much in large numbers. So it's undermonetized in their view in the sense that there's a huge number of players who aren't buying things.

There are lots of things I would be willing to pay for with my DM hat on - like I'd check out Dungeon and maybe Dragon again (depending on the Dragon content, but I'm always up for adventure anthologies). But as a player it's tougher. In fact all of the things you list are things that I'd potentially buy as a DM, but would be disinterested in as a player. I'd expect as a DM that if I'm paying for a VTT I'd be able to have all of my players on it without them paying an extra charge, for example, or if I'm buying digital books that link into a character creator all of the players in my campaign would be able to use the options from those books for their characters. If I couldn't do those things as a DM I wouldn't pay for those tools.

But thinking with my player hat on, it's tough. I have a few characters I'm playing now and I don't really need that much content for them - I've got the PHB and I've got Tasha's and that's kind of sufficient for what I want? I can really see why TSR and Wizards have all had a problem getting players to buy books in large quantities when I'm on this side of the table - there's just not a lot to offer. And even if they gave me books full of player options, I wouldn't use many of them for any given campaign. A single book of options might last me for a dozen characters (which, with how often I get to play rather than DM, would probably mean more than a dozen years worth of content).

So with my player hat on - a personalized mini would be nice. Like if I could get them to create personalized minis for my characters that I could use digitally and/or have 3d printed and sent to me. But it would have to be reasonably priced. (I know these services exist, but so do VTTs and Wizards is trying to monetize that).

If I were playing in a specific campaign world published by Wizards I might want more player-facing info about the setting to be easily accessible without buying full books (but that may be my DM hat talking - most of my players actually barely read the bullet point onepager I give them on a setting). But I'm actually not - both of the characters I'm playing are in homebrew worlds, so that wouldn't really be on my radar unless I got into a game in a published setting.

I mean it's tough. It's a game that is designed to be played with a handful of dice, some paper, and maybe one mini per player that isn't the DM. I can absolutely see why digital microtransactions and a 3d VTT would be the kind of thing they'd hit on for players. There are probably players out there who would pay for different clothing options for their personalized digital minis, or pay for specific animated effects for their characters spellcasting or attack moves, or specialized digital dice, or other cosmetic things like that. It's just not a game that lends itself to players spending a lot of money on it (in fact I'd argue that ends up being on of the strengths of RPGs in general - they're fairly cheap for everyone but the DM, and honestly the DM only needs to spend as much money as they feel like spending).

Stormonu

Legend
Somewhat hard to wrap my mind around what I'd be willing to put money into, but a terrain crate/monthly mini scheme would probably interest me.

A dungeon-a-month (say, like the old Dungeon mag...) program would be something of value, especially if it has an upgrade option for the prebuilt VTT components.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I'm pretty sure the only product most players are guaranteed to want to buy is a d20 that always rolls high, except in the DM's hands.
If you want one that does the opposite, my wife would gladly sell a few of her d20s.

We played a game last night and I swear she only rolled higher than a 10 once in the entire session. At one point I had to look at her dice to make sure she hadn't grabbed one of those 20-sided d10s by mistake.

Scribe

Legend
1. A CRPG that at least approaches the quality of Baldurs Gate 1/2, and Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous. -> Monetized via being a Game, and DLC.
2. An MMO that at least approaches the quality of WoW in the TBC/Wrath era. - Monetized via Subscription, and Expansions, and cosmetics.
3. Books that cater to a crowd that leans more towards DCC, than present 5e. - Monetized via me buying something that is interesting.
4. Books that lean into topics like Planes, Alignment, Gods, real 'high' (not High) Fantasy type stuff. - Monetized via me buying something that is interesting.

I mean it's tough. It's a game that is designed to be played with a handful of dice, some paper, and maybe one mini per player that isn't the DM. I can absolutely see why digital microtransactions and a 3d VTT would be the kind of thing they'd hit on for players. There are probably players out there who would pay for different clothing options for their personalized digital minis, or pay for specific animated effects for their characters spellcasting or attack moves, or specialized digital dice, or other cosmetic things like that. It's just not a game that lends itself to players spending a lot of money on it (in fact I'd argue that ends up being on of the strengths of RPGs in general - they're fairly cheap for everyone but the DM, and honestly the DM only needs to spend as much money as they feel like spending).
Yeah, that's the tricky part. I can think of multiple things they could sell to me as a DM, but on the player side it's much more difficult. I would potentially pay for a nice set of virtual dice or a custom mini/token on the screen, and maybe also a low amount of money for a good character builder, but that's about it. Anything else is only loosely related to the game (e.g. I look forward to the return of a D&D animated series or a good eurogame with a D&D theme) and even that's not exactly what people typically mean when they talk about monetization and "player recurring investments".

Bagpuss

Legend
There's a gold mine in VTT when it comes to potential microtransactions, which people probably won't mind as long as they can also build or import their own stuff to a degree.

Why buy WotC goblin when you can import one you found free on the web. If they want to sell microtransactions they won't be allowing imports.

Remove ads