D&D General What I want from a VTT

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Ok, I've used Fantasy Grounds, Roll20, and Foundry. I've played around with Astral, Wildshape, Game Master Engine, Talespire, and Realm Engine. I have a good feel for what I want now......(anyone want a comparison of the last 4? I've been thinking about that).

1. Supports more than one game, but especially DnD, as that's what I play.
2. 3d / isometric / 2.5 d. I really want to be able to run with vertical play more. Plus, it just looks cooler. I'm too old to expect holographic play......
3. Supports both online play and off line play. That is, I want to be able to use maps and minis and dice, but still use the tools of the VTT to support that.
4. The ability to use 3rd party products, not just whomever makes the VTT. Easily, not super hard. Also, so that others can sell products that can be used on the VTT. An open market.
5. The following tools:
a. Turn tracker that supports customization, not just the rules of the game you are playing.
b. NPC/Monster maker like 4e had.
c. PC maker.
c again :) : adventure maker
d. The ability to make and to import maps from other tools.
e. optional automation. I really want to be able to dial in how much automation there is. Like, I want to fudge die rolls, I want to be able to do that.
f. Great audio and video / chat / feel like you are at a table. In the tool. Discord is great, but I'd like less windows/apps open.
g. Maps you can zoom in and out of, so you can move from exploration to combat in the tool.
i. The tools like World Anvil has (only easy to use) to manage a campaign (NPCs, Towns, rumors, all the stuff a DM and players need to track if they want)
j. Dice roller (this seems obvious, but I'll mention it).
6. Affordable. Preferably with discounts for buying printed stuff and the stuff on the VTT.
7. Dowloadable if I want, so it can't be taken away if they go out of business / change their model.
8. EASY TO USE.
9. Supports the rules of the games, for example darkvision or auras.....

I really do not want a VTT and will likely not pay for one, that does not support using 3rd party products and even encourages their stuff to be sold for use with it.

100% sure I forgot to mention things.......but what I want is a one stop application.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Ability to export / connect to other VTTs if my other group happens to be using it (Beyond20, for example).....
Support for mobile/tablets/computers

darjr

I crit!
I don’t want a vtt. I want something to facilitate remote player with my physical stuff.

This is getting closer

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I don’t want a vtt. I want something to facilitate remote player with my physical stuff.

This is getting closer
Can't I just do that with discord or zoom or other apps? I'm not sure what that gets me.....

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
4. The ability to use 3rd party products, not just whomever makes the VTT. Easily, not super hard. Also, so that others can sell products that can be used on the VTT. An open market.

The makers of such an application can make an open format for other parties to write to. And they can build to read various open formats others publish in. But beyond that, they're kind of stuck. If 3rd parties don't want to cooperate (because, for example, they have their own VTTs), there's not much anyone can do.

6. Affordable. Preferably with discounts for buying printed stuff and the stuff on the VTT.

Again, that's a business agreement issue, not a software issue. Proving that you actually have a printed copy to get a discount is a bit of a problem.

100% sure I forgot to mention things.......

I think you forgot to mention the wishes for one million dollars, a pony, and a castle in Wales. Which is a flippant way of saying that you are asking for a lot, so you may want to be ready for disappointment.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
The makers of such an application can make an open format for other parties to write to. And they can build to read various open formats others publish in. But beyond that, they're kind of stuck. If 3rd parties don't want to cooperate (because, for example, they have their own VTTs), there's not much anyone can do.

Again, that's a business agreement issue, not a software issue. Proving that you actually have a printed copy to get a discount is a bit of a problem.

I think you forgot to mention the wishes for one million dollars, a pony, and a castle in Wales. Which is a flippant way of saying that you are asking for a lot, so you may want to be ready for disappointment.
Actually, foundry is close...... And, I did, product management in software.... So, maybe not.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Actually, foundry is close...... And, I did, product management in software.... So, maybe not.

So many people bring up the appeal to authority of working in software, seeming to forget that the person they are talking to may also work in software, and still rationally have a different opinion.

Note also how my most important points aren't about the software, but are about business agreements.

My suggestion is a solo mode, with an AI controlling the nPCs and enviroment (hidden traps, secret doors or coins in the chests), but also a "free mode" where the player has total control, even the movement of the monsters (the AI only would say what monsters want to do), because the player wants to playtests his homebred rules, for example a new subclass.

Remove ads