• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What if a level 1 killed a level 40

Jacob

Explorer
Actually the answer to the thread title's question is 'well, then something's fishy!'

Killing something with a CR more than 8 above your level will grant zero xp, just like killing something 8+ levels below your level. Alternatively, instantly award godhood to the level 1 character, thus taking him out of play.
True, unless the situation isn't meant to be taken that seriously. As an experiment, I had 3 PCs try and stop a Balor Chef from serving human flesh to the populace, all Lvl 5. They eventually mocked a "play" of Good Cop Bad Cop and did a coup de grâce with his own weapon via Bluffs and role play. They simply went to the next level, and that was that.

baradtgnome

First Post
What if a level 1 killed a level 40? I submit he is now DM. Turn your books over to him and roll up a character. Now its your turn to see if you can munchkin the rules to get the DM chair back. Best of luck with your game.

Actually the answer to the thread title's question is 'well, then something's fishy!'

Killing something with a CR more than 8 above your level will grant zero xp, just like killing something 8+ levels below your level. Alternatively, instantly award godhood to the level 1 character, thus taking him out of play.
This. More than 8CR above your level and you oughta be dead - and pronto. More than 8 below and it oughta be an utterly insignificant threat. The CR and XP systems just aren't intended to handle the extremes beyond the original charts (and even the original charts can get wonky at the extremes).

Even allowing for house rules where an unbelievably unlikely sequence of die rolls allows an insta-kill critical the same principle applies. There is no "experience" to have been learned or gained by taking out something so far above your actual ability. That's the GODS (the DM) interfering directly with fate, not a character overcoming a challenge (it's called a CHALLENGE rating for good reason.) That's why the book indicates no xp whatever beyond those extremes. Even hitting the upper end of the BTB limits should be SO unlikely for a character to survive... And of course, as mentioned, on top of that there's the, "only one level at a time and excess XP are lost," rule which would also have to be deliberately suspended by the DM for wild and crazy things to happen.

Not trying to be a wet blanket, I'm just sayin'...

Valathos

First Post
Well although you kind of just went off of my post. Download the exp table. Like for house rules or whatever one wants to call them. I give a chance for anything. If a character did kill a level 40 at level 1 then why not reward him in some way so he doesn't feel shafted as a player. Roll a d100 %die and say if it rolls what a 1 then he gets that artifact. Just giving the low chance gives hope to your players. Also makes them think up other possibilities. I always have that rule that there is a chance of it happening... although mostly always very small. I know I did post it as a question but I was just saying that as a statement for the exp chart.

Jhaelen

First Post
Well although you kind of just went off of my post. Download the exp table. Like for house rules or whatever one wants to call them. I give a chance for anything. If a character did kill a level 40 at level 1 then why not reward him in some way so he doesn't feel shafted as a player.
Well that's fine, really, it just doesn't fit my DMing style. My apologies if I sounded overly dismissive!

I'm sure there'll be DMs who appreciate your effort.

In my games, however, I make it a point to include encounters that are not meant to be beatable, following the advice in the 3e DMG on encounter building that 5% of all encounters should have an EL of 5+ higher than EPL.

Most of the time, my players realize their characters are in over their heads and do the sensible thing: They try to flee or parley.
Sometimes, this realization will come only after one or more pcs are dead, but such is the harsh life of an adventurer!
And rarely, they misjudge (or just don't care) and try to take on the opposition anyway, usually resulting a TPK.

However, I remember one instance where they actually succeeded against all odds and to my big surprise. There were no CR involved that were more than 8 levels above their level, though. If there had been, I'd have just granted the maximum (which is already very high).
As it was, I figured the high-level loot they gained was reward enough.

Empirate

First Post
I'm sure a well built 11th level Wizard could, given sufficient preparation, solo a 20th level Monk.

(unless built by Sir Giacomo, obviously, those Monks are killer caster... uh, killers.)

Dandu

First Post
I've played a 13th level core sorcerer that solo'd a level 20 fighter with neither build being specifically geared towards taking on the other.

Empirate

First Post
I put 11th level because, well, I'm sure it works, and also it's 9 levels difference, so off the XP charts.

Hmm, although soloing would theoretically put the effective EL at four higher, right?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads