• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What, if anything, bothers you about certain casters/spells at your table?

Zardnaar

Legend
This is so true.

I’ve had “that” conversation with my players- well, if we do it, the baddies can do it too. But no they realistically can’t. Because if I drop Banishment on your party, two of you being from the Faewild, means you are effectively dead, the other one is an aberration from the far Realms, so he’s dead too and now I’ve just wiped the party because the baddies cast two Banishment spells.

Yeah, no thanks.

I’m very tired of having to deal with this.

That's kinda the risk when you pick more exotic races imho.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Having played with a "guidance spammer" once, the bonus to rolls wasn't the issue at all for me, rather the constant interruptions of someone shouting "guidance!" no matter where they are or what they're doing..

just give them a hand full of d4s and say “here, give a d4 when you want to and Roleplay how youre doing it without ever saying the word guidance again.

Last edited:

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Having played with a "guidance spammer" once, the bonus to rolls wasn't the issue at all for me, rather the constant interruptions of someone shouting "guidance!" no matter where they are or what they're doing.

The material component isn't consumed. You only need to buy it once.
That makes it a little better, but I still don't think the spell is very good.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
just give them a hand full of d4s and say “here, give a d4 when you want to and Roleplay how your doing it without ever saying the word guidance again.
I think the way BG3 handles it is perfectly fine, and it's how my DM runs it, since our Cleric always forgets he has the cantrip, lol, forcing us to ask things like "I could really use a divine blessing right now" before having to make difficult rolls (usually to open doors or disarm traps).

Zardnaar

Legend
I think the way BG3 handles it is perfectly fine, and it's how my DM runs it, since our Cleric always forgets he has the cantrip, lol, forcing us to ask things like "I could really use a divine blessing right now" before having to make difficult rolls (usually to open doors or disarm traps).

I'll pretty much allow guidance on most things except stealth type rolls if you're trying to sneak. Lay an ambush probably allow it.

Hussar

Legend
My main issue is not with powerful spells, but with spells that completely remove aspects that I think a fantasy adventure should have, like trying to avoid any harm while camping (Leonund's tiny hut), trying not to starve while traveling (goodberry), traveling (teleport), trying to solve a murder (speak with the dead, resurrection)...
Frankly, this is the same issue that I have. Deal lots of damage? Meh, that's not an issue. Shut down a monster for a couple of rounds with web or whatever? Again, I have no problems with control type spells. It's exactly this sort of thing that flies right up my nose. The stuff that just steamrolls over the meat and potatoes of an adventure.

M_Natas

Hero
Based on some of the exchange over in the Exploration Falls Short thread, I'm wondering what it is about certain casters and/or spells that might impede some of the fun at your table(s)? Also would be interested in any takes from those that are not particularly bothered by casters and/or spells at their table, which might possibly provide some solutions or an alternative perspective to those that might be (or have been) experiencing issues.

note: and, yes, while this certainly could be tagged D&D General, I only play 5e right now and am most interested in the question in the context of 5e.
A big nitpick for me is, that no matter what subclass, caster usually default to the same spells.
Wizards will always have Fireball, Tiny Hut, banishment and Co.
A Warlock will always spam Eldritch Blast (Except the hexblade).
A cleric always has spiritual weapon and spiritual guardian and so on.

So no matter the subclass, all those classes play actually too similiar at the table because full casters are about 90% the spells they have and only 10% the subclass. And there are always optimal spell choices.

A warlock not taking the best invocations to i mprove Eldritch Blast will weaken the party the same as a wizard who is not taking fireball.

Zardnaar

Legend
A big nitpick for me is, that no matter what subclass, caster usually default to the same spells.
Wizards will always have Fireball, Tiny Hut, banishment and Co.
A Warlock will always spam Eldritch Blast (Except the hexblade).
A cleric always has spiritual weapon and spiritual guardian and so on.

So no matter the subclass, all those classes play actually too similiar at the table because full casters are about 90% the spells they have and only 10% the subclass. And there are always optimal spell choices.

A warlock not taking the best invocations to i mprove Eldritch Blast will weaken the party the same as a wizard who is not taking fireball.

Clerics have a really snall spell list as well so the good ones stand out.

The cleric is now a primary caster waste of time even using weapons unless you find a very good magical one.

16 wisdom, 14 dex and con with point buy or close to it pump wisdom.

Guidance, Healing Word, spiritual weapon/guardians, Banishment covers most of it maybe domain spells. I cast slow once in CoS that was kinda new.

Wife's shocking at it via divine soul. 1 level cleric dip (death, peace, twilight). She missed order by her own admission.

Then she can metamagic the above spells.

Remove ads