D&D 5E What, if anything, bothers you about certain casters/spells at your table?

Based on some of the exchange over in the Exploration Falls Short thread, I'm wondering what it is about certain casters and/or spells that might impede some of the fun at your table(s)? Also would be interested in any takes from those that are not particularly bothered by casters and/or spells at their table, which might possibly provide some solutions or an alternative perspective to those that might be (or have been) experiencing issues.

note: and, yes, while this certainly could be tagged D&D General, I only play 5e right now and am most interested in the question in the context of 5e.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Based on some of the exchange over in the Exploration Falls Short thread, I'm wondering what it is about certain casters and/or spells that might impede some of the fun at your table(s)? Also would be interested in any takes from those that are not particularly bothered by casters and/or spells at their table, which might possibly provide some solutions or an alternative perspective to those that might be (or have been) experiencing issues.

note: and, yes, while this certainly could be tagged D&D General, I only play 5e right now and am most interested in the question in the context of 5e.
When you say, "5e", do you mean exclusively WotC, or do you allow for 3pp in the discussion? I've noticed a lot of people say "5e" when they mean "WotC 5e, and nothing else need apply".

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I’m not annoyed by all that much in the realm of spells. Spirit guardians can be a bit annoying when the party cleric first gets it because it’s pretty potent at that level and it tends to be a big go-to for a while.

I am not annoyed by the spells others are complaining about in the other thread. If players use them, they’re telling me they don’t want to deal with certain complications. But even then, new complications sometimes arrive. Word to the wise, don’t set up a Mordenkainen’s magnificent mansion near a lich’s lair if you don’t want to be dumped out in your nightclothes due to a successful dispel magic.

Zardnaar

Legend
Big one is summoning multiple critters. Just slows the game down espicially with indecisive players who want to read stats for a bit before summoning.

That's also a 3E problem as well, lesser in AD&D but can still happen.

Table etiquette you get 30-60seconds to do whatever can't decide dodge action next players turn.

p_johnston

Adventurer
1)multiple summons for pretty much the exact reason Zardnaar stated.

2) spells that are so good/impactfull that its a spell slot tax/people are multiclassing just to get that one. Shield being the biggest offender, counterspell to a lesser extent.

3) most save or suck spells (hold person, banishment, etc). I dont want to use them as a DM because its just making it so 1 player cant play and i dislike them on players because it makes having a big bad boss fight even more awkward then it already is.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I haven't had to deal with them, despite - for example - having just run a whole session for 5th level characters involving exploration (I think light was the only spell cast specifically for aiding exploring and circumventing hazards). Though the group only has a bard and a multiclassed eldritch knight/wizard as full casters (otherwise, there is a paladin, an arcane trickster, and a ranger/rogue).

I do house rule Leomund's Tiny Hut, even though I have not had anyone even ask about it, let alone use it.

Firstly, it is a "named" spell, meaning it cannot be chosen at level advancement and must be found or acquired in game. (Furthermore, I remove such spells from spell lists that are not wizard or sorcerer - no Melf's Acid Arrow for druids).

Secondly, I make these changes:
  • The material component is a piece of bread and some salt, which is consumed in the casting, along with a small fist-sized brass model of a house worth at least 200 gps (which is not consumed).
  • The hut is opaque, but can be made transparent by the caster by spending an action, and concentrating for up to 10 minutes.
  • The hut must be cast on a reasonably flat, clear, and solid area that can hold it.

As for summoning/conjuring spells with lots of critters, we have a table agreement to limit it to 4 creatures max during combat, but the options for more creatures can be used for non-combat situations - so summoning eight rats with conjure animals to have them gnaw the rope holding a boat's anchor, for example.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
i think most of the issues from the exploration thread are those spells in particular don't help engage with a playstyle but instead sidestep engaging with it, it's similar to picking ranger or outlander background and finding out no you're not actually to getting be better at exploration challenges you're not doing exploration challenges at all, it's just happening from the GM's side of things, those are the things it makes sense to pick in a survival campaign, but then it basically takes the survival out of the survival campaign.

Remove ads