• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What (if anything) do you find "wrong" with 5E?

delericho

Legend
sorcerers being the metamagic class. actually, no, metamagic being a class gimmick at all. why is this a class gimmick? why not just let it be a thing casters can get access to, whether through feats or some other mea--OH, RIGHT, BECAUSE YOU MADE THOSE OPTIONAL.
Yeah, that's very unfortunate, not least because metamagic and/or Sorcery Points are pretty much the ideal hook on which to hang the defiler/preserver split for Dark Sun.

It does occur to me, though, that just as some feats can give access to some class abilities (ritual caster, and a few others), it might be possible to introduce a weak form of metamagic via feats.

I have never needed rules for this kind of thing. I would actually prefer that it stays in the GMs hands.
In general I agree. However, at the risk of enforcing a particular culture in the game some historically based recommendations would be useful. Part of the problem is that I think that money factors a lot into this.

Like, you succeed in the previous adventure and a grateful patron invites you to a ball. Now what? What things should the DM know about this, and who amongst the PCs should be given guidance due to previous knowledge? Personally, I think that explaining the breadth of human experience in the DMG would be asking a bit much. However, even something along the lines of monthly expenses for given professions and statuses would be a helpful marker.

Remove ads