D&D General What if High Level Was Only in a Supplement

Reynard

Legend
Your premise that nobody plays at the level is flawed.
That is not "my premise" -- it is a thing people say, all the time. You will not I did not vote or advocate in any way in my OP. I have an opinion but I intentionally did not share it in order to make the discussion about what you think, not what I think.

nevin

Hero
Just a random thought based on some things other folks have said in other threads:

Would it bother you if the D&D core books did not include high level information. By "high" here I mean 11+ or 13+. So your PHB, MM and DMG would not concern themselves with play at those higher levels, and you would have to buy a single volume of high level character options, rules, items and monsters. Would that work for you? Would it be desirable? Would you like to see high level stuff removed from the "core" game since "no one plays high level"? Or do you think adventures and supplementary material should emphasize high level play more? Or is it pretty much good where it is at?
Id rather see a solid epic book that give's DM's some rules and guidelines for playing High level games. I think the current rule book 1-20 is fine.

Oofta

Legend
I've run multiple campaigns and played in campaigns that went to 20th. I like having everything in the core rule books. The recent interview also mentioned more support for high level play, specifically in the MM.

So no, I don't think it should be in a separate supplement. I do think it should be better supported, but it looks like that's coming. If they did anything, I'd say add more guidance in the DMG on how to start a campaign at higher levels.

jgsugden

Legend
... Would you like to see high level stuff removed from the "core" game since "no one plays high level"? ...
That is not "my premise" -- it is a thing people say, all the time. You will not I did not vote or advocate in any way in my OP. I have an opinion but I intentionally did not share it in order to make the discussion about what you think, not what I think.
Your intent and the way people may read your statement are not necessarily aligned, then. When I read that statement, I saw it as saying that you share the belief that is said so often, "no one plays high level". It seemed you were referencing it as a reason why your proposal might make sense.

So why reference it if it is not part of your premise? If you referenced it because it has a significance to a reason for your proposal, it does seem to be something underlying your proposal - and thus part of the premise - even if you do not see it that way.If it has no significance to your proposal - why say it?

R_J_K75

Legend
Would it bother you if the D&D core books did not include high level information.
Absolutely not, in fact it'd bother me if they included high/epic levels. In the 40 years Ive been playing D&D I think weve only reached level 12 maybe once or twice. I'd prefer if the PHB/DMG, and adventures stopped at level 10. They can release a supplement for those who want it, but thats not me.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'd prefer they stopped at around level 10 or so, then added another books(s) for higher levels. That would allow for more options/depth for low and mid level play in the same word count. But it doesn't bother me they won't be doing this.

Just like I think magic items should be in a separate book from the PHB or DMG.....so those books could concentrate more on their purpose, and the magic item book could be more interesting (legacy items, and other things to add depth/new ideas to items).

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
On the one hand, I personally wouldn't miss high-level info in core, because I don't usually play at those levels.
On the other hand, it's nice to have that info there when you need it (sometimes even in low-level play, eg magic items), without getting another book. Plus, high-level has always been core; that sort of gonzo game is part of - possibly even the heart of - "D&D as a genre."

So given a choice, I'd keep it in core. What might be nice, though, is a chapter (or supplement) aimed at in-depth advice for DMs inexperienced with running high-level and epic play.

R_J_K75

Legend
But it doesn't bother me they won't be doing this
It bothers me. 3E basically streamlined the rules/mechanics, 5E was a slight step forward, but except for 4E which made drastic changes to the game, D&D hasnt really evolved much IMO.
Just like I think magic items should be in a separate book from the PHB or DMG.....so those books could concentrate more on their purpose
I agree. I don't like that WotC wont deviate from the 3 core book model, which I think they should and would make sense.

Remove ads