• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What if there were no attacks of opportunity?

Jer

Legend
Supporter
You don't actually need AoO to play a sword-and-board protector type and keep the squishies safe. All you really need is a rule that says that if you want to stop someone from moving past you to get to someone behind you, you can force them to engage with you instead of whoever you're protecting. No free attacks, just a "if you want the little guy you're going to have to go through me" sort of rule.

This was how we basically played when we played BECMI back before 3e. It didn't have AoO rules except for the "if you try to disengage from the battle, your opponents get a free swipe at you as you run" rule, but there was a tacit understanding that the fighters and clerics were standing between the monsters and the thieves/wizards at the back of the party, and if you wanted to attack them in melee you'd have to go through their protectors. (With missile combat and sneaking up from behind tactics of course being different stories). And of course my monsters were the same, with a front line of orcs or whatnot protecting their spellcasters and/or archers from the party's frontline. We'd limit it to two opponents you could stop - if your opposition was large enough that they could tie down your front line at two apiece and still have more to spare, your squishes were going to get squashed. (I could see upping that to maybe 3 these days, or making it higher for high level games, but back then we didn't think that way - two seemed reasonable so we went with it).

When you play on a tactical map with grids and such you can get a lot of "well what about if I do this" sort of thing to try to get around that kind of protection, so AoO rules help clarify things. But if you're not playing the tactical map version of the game they aren't strictly necessary - either in theater of the mind or the more loose "here's a diagram of what's going on" without a grid - so long as you keep in mind the intent behind them.

Riley37

First Post
If, in your setting, people only ever charge at each other, then you don't need AoO.

If anyone ever turns and runs away, then either you want fleeing to reliably result in successfully ending contact, which is very different from real life; or you will want some version of AoO.

Tony Vargas

Legend
For theater of the mind style, the game is better without OAs.
With TotM, your life gets a little easier if the combat is 'static' - that is if melee types tend to engage and fight and not try to switch targets or run past eachother too much. You get a sort of de-facto 'front line' 'melee range' and everyone else can stand as far back from that as works for them. AoOs encintivize the static front line, FWIW, but you can also just put convenient choke points in most battles, or...
You don't actually need AoO to play a sword-and-board protector type and keep the squishies safe. All you really need is a rule that says that if you want to stop someone from moving past you to get to someone behind you, you can force them to engage with you instead of whoever you're protecting. No free attacks, just a "if you want the little guy you're going to have to go through me" sort of rule.
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by this anymore, but:

Hey, 13th Age already did that.
It's called Intercept, it works smoothly with TotM (13A is actually designed with that in mind), and, while it's not automatic, it so happens that the 13A Fighter can be particularly good at it (I'm generally dissapointed in the 13A fighter, but that bit's decent.)
Of course, 13A also has OAs, and a Disengage action, as well, both of which seem to play nice with TotM.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
If there are no OAs or other ways to keep PCs "stuck" in melee, then positioning is irrelevant, as long as you are within 1 move of the guy you want to melee. It will kind of give everyone a 30 ft (or one move) melee "range" attack. I expect this would lead to extreme focus firing, which would speed up combat, but might also get a bit samey after a while.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads